versa pro back to LM90

G
we currently have about 250 90/30 PLC's. We used LM90 across the board, never had any problems.
We had a new (so-called) programmer talk us into Versa Pro, So the change was made. Our machine builders we told to use versa pro.

everything was fine for a while but a new problem arose, one of our machine buliders upgraded their Versa Pro to 2.0 not a big problem but we have some older PLC with outdated firmware.
We have another machine builder that has decided to use CIMPLICITY Machine Edition, which I don't have.

so I have machines with LM90, Versa Pro 1.5, Versa Pro 2.04 ,and CIMPLICITY Machine Edition

updating firmware is out as GE wants around $100 a PLC. All of GE prices are too high.

I want to know if theres a program out there that will convert versa pro and CIMPLICITY Machine Edition back into LM90.

We do very little complete logic but we tweak alot.
I do know once its uploaded to PLC as versa Pro its had to go back but we feel that getting back to LM90 would be the best all solution as GE seams to change software whenever they want to.

Thanks,
Bill

I dont think you can do a downgrade conversion, probably have to manually recreate the programs. Tell the truth I am not positive what could be done to expedite the conversion process, Steve may be able to answer that better.

Personally I think you should move on to Cimplicity and upgrade the firmware as needed. Its a lot of money but will eliminate issues in the future with working with DOS software. I dont care much for VersaPro but rather use it than LM90. Cimplicity is totally different and may offer features you dont realize.

There is no utility to convert a VersaPro or Machine Edition program to Logicmaster format.

There is no problem with downloading a program written in Logicmaster to a PLC that has been running a program created with VP or ME. If you have converted LM programs to VP or ME and you still have the original Logicmaster files, open the LM folder, duplicate any changes you made with VP or ME, and download the modified program to the PLC.

The problem with Logicmaster is that it was, is, and forever will be a DOS application. As Windows continues to evolve, you will have more and more problems running DOS applications. Furthermore, Machine Edition is the software platform on which any future development will occur. Any new modules or CPUs that GE Fanuc brings to market will only be supported under ME.

As to the firmware version incompatibility, here is the issue as I understand it. GE Fanuc lists on their website the minimum recommended firmware versions for running VP or ME files. VP and ME files will run on earlier firware revision levels, but there may be problems. The most serious problem that I'm aware of is that sometimes doing some ordinary operations like clearing the fault table can cause the PLC to stop running the program and you have to restart it. Now there are some applications where stopping the PLC is a minor nuisance and there are applications where stopping the PLC will cost you thousands of dollars in spoiled product. Only you can tell which side of that fence you're on.

Personally I hate upgrading, but in your case it would be less confusing for all to go with CME, and likely cheaper in the long run when you figure in lost time etc... My use of CME and LM90 is limited, but I have not had any issues reading a program out of a 90-30 with CME that was orgiionally programed with LM90. However I dont think the disk files are backwards compatable.

Good luck with it.

We have not had any luck putting a LM90 program back on a 90/30 cpu once a Versa Pro program had beed loaded onto it.
But I will try again.

btw, LM90 being a dos program is not a draw back to us.

Thanks for the fast responses.

bill

My understanding is that you cannot even modify a vp or cim. program from LM90. Ge buddies told me you couldn't, and I have never tried.

With that many 9030's, next time you need a system or just some parts, check into getting a tool box starter kit. For the price of a base, power supply and cpu, you also get a I/O card, cimplicity software, a new programming cable, and I think your choice of paper or plastic (CD) manuals. Might even be a little cheaper then the cpu, ps, and base.

Have purchasing check with your GE rep.

250 9030's. I like that figure. I had a ton of them in Freeport at the tire plant. Used to stay in Monroe, WI and commute 30 miles to the plant as a temp. Monroe and New Glarus were more fun. Used to stay in Rockford and commute occasionally, to much trouble to get into in Rockford.

Where are you located at?

regards.....casey

With Ver. 5.0 Proficy ME (CME) the software is compatable back to these versions: (This goes back to approximatly 1994)
IC693CPU311 - 4.40 or greater
IC693CPU313 - 4.40 or greater
IC693CPU321 - 4.40 or greater
IC693CPU323 - 4.40 or greater
IC693CPU331 - 4.50 or greater
IC693CPU340 - 7.00 or greater
IC693CPU341 - 4.50 or greater
The newer CPUs can be updated free via Flash.