PLC features wish list

I dont know if this is exactly what you are refering to in this statement, but the Horner NX series, which is a PLC and HMI all in one does have the capability to save and load the program files on a compact flash. Granted it is not a jump or thumb drive yet but they are working on it and have put a USB port on the device for when the is fully implemented. Or at least that is what they are saying is going to happen.

That, and I wish every PLC out there had a USB port -- wait... Not for programming, that should be Ethernet, but for having a simple place to plug in a standard thumbdrive, and upload/download a program without any need for software.

For real. Any of us that work for a major company are held to Allen Bradley, Siemens, Fanuc, or Omron. At least 95% of us.
I dont know that is a good thing I curse AB almost every day since we started using factory talk view se.

Last edited:
so it's not full fledged product!? i've been trying to look it up and it says programming in statement list, ladder and function block. there is no mention of other languages like scl or if addressing arrays is any better etc. can someone offer comparison or review?

Heh... when the PLC manufacturers start offering USB, they'll provide either a terminal strip connector or some bizarre proprietary connector just so they can charge 3x more for the cable.
Exactly... most would have a different pinout configuraion for every product that uses it along with their own special USB devices to plug into them (Rockwell in particular have a great track record for this with all of their serial devices)... Bah Humbug!!!

so it's not full fledged product!? i've been trying to look it up and it says programming in statement list, ladder and function block. there is no mention of other languages like scl or if addressing arrays is any better etc. can someone offer comparison or review?

It is just like step7 basis which offers those three languages for for around $2000.00 us. You can use it to program S7300 - 400 for around $700.00-$800.00. It also handles array programming just like step7. It has all of the programming blocks step7 has and also the graphical networking to address all networking connections.

For the 100 series PLC's the programming is free. These are digital only plc's. Wahhh.

I also would like to hear some other reviews as we just started using this and it is a new release to hear if anyone has had any problems.