PLC + Motor Problem

Ken

Hi guys, have been fiddling with PLC for a while. Have got my hands on an AC brake motor from Oriental Motors but there's no specs available. It has five wires. So how can I control the motor with the PLC? The outputs of the PLC should be connected to an external relay that connects to the AC motor right? But which wire of the motor goes where? Realy confused.. do I need to get a motor controller?

You will need some sort of starter (contactor and overload protection). You need to provide more info. Do you at least have the part number of the motor? Size? (Hp or KW) 3 phase? try http://www.orientalmotor.com for help. Looks like their catalogs are online.

If it is 3 phase, your leads could be the three phases and the extra two would be the brake. You need some sort of ground connection, though.

you will need a contactor and overload to feed your 3 phase motor cables and another relay to feed the 240v or 415v of your brake. One PLC output should pull in the contactor and the other should pull in the brake relay.
This is basic stuff so if it is at all unclear get an electrician before you blow up your PLC, motor or self.

5 wires and from Oriental motors...sounds more like a 5 phase stepper motor to me. If so then you will need a controller for it. As was stated check the Oriental site to see what you have.

possibly stepper motor

5 wires, Oriental motors.... That sounds like a 2-phase stepper
motor requiring bi-polar chopper drive. Oriental motors have those
available.