Using EvMove on XP Pro?

dilkep

Hey! Been a while since I've asked this forum a question but I got great help the last time.

We had a guy recently leave and I was given all of his half-finished work on top of my current stuff. Needless to say, I'm swamped. But I digress.

He was working on an AB setup using RSView Studio and a Panelview screen. I think the program is developed, but I need to get RSView Studio on my laptop because I'm going to the startup and need to be able to edit.

So - I'm at his desktop (running XP Pro) that currently has the activation key for both RSView Studio & RSLogix. I have the Master Disk. I'd like to move the activation from his desktop to my laptop (also XP Pro), however, I'm having issues.

When I run the "Move Activation" utility and attempt to move FROM C: to A: I get the message - Activation File may be in use, disk may be write protected or sharing services may be missing.

Why can't this be easy?

So - I quickly tried to move the activation to the server so I could pick it up easily with my laptop, but got the same message. I have limited experience with AB and am hoping I'll catch somebody on a good day who has had this problem before.

Thanks in advance.

Check out Answer ID 28341 at the Rockwell Knowledgebase. In your case you may have services running that need to be stopped first.

Usually the culprit is RSLinx, running as a service. You have to "Shut down and exit", not just shut down.

But with RSView Studio, it keeps several FactoryTalk services and applications (including RSLinx Enterprise) running that need to be manually shut down. I have a handy-dandy utility that shuts them all down at once (Technical Support has it too). Send me a P.M. or an e-mail and I can get it for you.

Last edited:
You need to be an Administrator!

Thanks for the replies guys. I had already shut down the services, but my problem was that I wasn't logged on as an Administrator.šŸ™ƒ

Like I said, it was another guy's desktop and I was logging in under my own name. Got it switched around and the keys came off no problem.

Thanks again.

*Edited to say that you probably don't need to be an Administrator, but you need certain rights in order to move the key.

Last edited:
Hey Ken,

The utility of which you speak to kill rsview background processes, is it a "net stop" batch file or something else?

Marc