SLC 5/05 data storage

jimfun

Hey guys I have a project coming up where I will be doing a lot of data sampling. SLC 5/05 and PV+600. The plc will overrun it's 64k mem in a day or two and I need a way to store lots of data. I know I can do a daily dump to a pc and generate reports with an Excel database but I really want to be able to run historical reports from the pv. Is there a memory card or disc drive card for a plc? I was thinking perhaps integrating a raspberry pi in a card slot. Any leads or starting points are appreciated. Thanks guys.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The PV+600 would be the most logical place to store logged data, with the Trend object or the DataStore Plus ActiveX object.

You can use an SD or CF card to store the data in the PV+, but those are limited by the filesystem (FAT16) to just 2 GB. Still lots more than using your SLC's RAM.

What exactly do you mean by "run historical reports from the [PanelView]" ?

Take a very close look at OPC Systems. It can do the data logging without you having to buy and entire SCADA package. Excellent support too.

Good Luck,

Yosi

Ken Roach said:
...The PV+600 would be the most logical place to store logged data, with the Trend object or the DataStore Plus ActiveX object.

You can use an SD or CF card to store the data in the PV+, but those are limited by the filesystem (FAT16) to just 2 GB. Still lots more than using your SLC's RAM...

To expand a little on this...

At the simplest level you could use the native Data Log Model for the PanelView Plus before considering an ActiveX option, such as DataStore Plus, if the basic model is capable enough for the volume of data logging required. This may be simpler to implement but you do have to be careful not to overdo it. Too high a poll rate or too many data points and you could experience a marked reduction in performance for the terminal application.

You can store to the CF card for a PanelView Plus 600, but the 2 GB external storage limit would not be the limiting factor here. In fact, it is huge in comparison to this basic model's capabilities. Using FactoryTalk View Studio v6.10, the Data Log Model will support up to 300,000 data points which will consume up to 4.5 MB internal storage and 4.5 MB RAM. This is because the log will store to internal memory first before using 4.5 MB of its available 32 MB RAM for its write buffer memory to then write to external memory, such as the CF card. For this particular terminal, using r6.xx firmware, a 2 GB CF card could store a lot of data log cycles before it would be full.

Or, the Data Log Model can write to external memory on a remote computer, if the terminal is Ethernet capable, where storage space would not really be an issue. This also has the advantage of the data being readily available in real time to utilize. Rather than having to pull the CF card from the terminal to view the data on a computer.

Regards,
George