Rslogix 5000 single push button with multi fiction

sunnybear

Hi,

So I have one push button(non-latch momentary) and would like use it to trigger two function sequences with the short press for primary sequence and long press(hold for 3s) to trigger the secondary sequence. Two sequences are independent to each other and can not run at the same time. Could anyone provide any ideas? Much appreciated.

You will.need to use a timer off the pushbutton and.............................compare blocks once released and.............................then latch in a sequence.

Maybe show us what you.have so far

Your instructor is trying to help you think outside the box. Most people will think of the pushbutton pressed event as the triggering action coupled with the timer. When you think that way how do decide whether to trigger a primary sequence at the end of the short duration or wait to see if the button remains pressed until the time for the secondary sequence.
Consider using the act of releasing the button as the triggering event.
Consider also some means of alerting the person pressing the button when the time period for triggering the primary sequence has expired.
For extra credit see if you can work out a method to abort if you've held the button pressed for longer than the time required to trigger the primary sequence but before the required time period for the secondary sequence. The scenario being that you thought you wanted to start a secondary sequence but while waiting for the timer to expire you spotted something that changed your mind and you don't want to start either sequence.