RSLogix 5000 rung comment editor stops responding

skeleton_bob

Not exactly a show-stopper, but irritating nonetheless. Previously using V20, now on V29 (big jump due to major client updating their standards, this affects both and probably other versions).

Occasionally and for no obvious reason the rung comment editor just stops responding to alphanumeric keystrokes, but perfectly happy to allow delete/backspace. When I finally notice, I end up having to edit the comment in Notepad and paste it in.

Everyone's first thought will probably be, are you hitting the character limit? No. It's definitely not that.

Anybody know why?

I use v29 quite a bit and haven't experienced that, maybe a windows driver issue. Have you checked your PC manufacturer for a driver update?

Every couple of weeks I check www.dell.com/support and it inspects my laptop and offers updated BIOS and drivers.

Are you using a virtual machine for this?

I have also experienced this issue in a virtual machine, where text input suddenly stops responding.

The fix for this, in my case, has been to mash the ctrl and shift buttons a few times, and it would allow me to enter text again. I have no idea if this will work if you are not using a virtual machine, but give it a go anyway.

Good luck.

I've seen this in both a hard drive install and in a VM, and on different machines including one fresh out of the box, which probably (hmm...) means it isn't a Windows driver.

I will try mashing ctrl and shift next time I see it :)

I've had that happen across several versions of Logix 5000/Logix Designer. No idea why. Usually accepting the rung comment as-is, then re-opening it for editing fixes it for me. A couple of times I've had to just create a new rung, enter the comment, and then copy and paste the logic across.