SLC 5/04 Series

kbradray

Does the series of a 5/04 processor matter? I will soon need to replace a 5/04 CPU and I am unsure of the current CPU series.

It has been a while for me. I don't think it matters as long is the replacement CPU series is changed in the program, but I want to ask the experts.

Thank you Ken

It only matters if the replacement is a lower tier model than the original. The lower models have less memory, not sure if they have a reduced I/O count or not. I would look up the manual- there is a table that shows the differences.

It only matters if the replacement is a lower tier model than the original. The lower models have less memory, not sure if they have a reduced I/O count or not. I would look up the manual- there is a table that shows the differences.

Not quite correct... the OP is asking about series not model

Ken, you can go from a A to B or B to C without issues but you may have problems (not always) going from a C to B or B to A, rupej is talking about a L541 compared to a L542 or L543

Thanks again Genius

How about going from a L541 series B to a L543 series a. If going to a larger CPU will it be ok to go backward with the series.

How about going from a L541 series B to a L543 series a. If going to a larger CPU will it be ok to go backward with the series.

Going to a larger CPU will only help you if your application actually needs the added memory capacity. Going down a series letter will only affect you if the changes made between the series are affected by the features/fixes between the series.

A quick way to do a cursory check would be to take your offline file and change the CPU selection, perform a validation of the file and see if it causes errors. Another consideration is the FRN (firmware release number).

I'll see if I can dig up the details, but I don't know of any major differences from memory for a 5/04.

Thanks all

My plant is primarily a Siemens plant, but we do have some AB PLCs. I am the only one who has worked with AB. We had a 5/04 fault Monday night and I was able to get it to reset. It is currently running, but I want to prepare for its final failure. At this point we do not even have the program backed up. I have RSL500 on the way as well as com cable. I cannot shut the system down to pull the processor to see what revision it is. This is the reason for my questions. The cable and software will be here in a day or two, but I want to order a CPU as it will take a bit longer. Upgrade at this point is not an option. Thank you all again for your help. I am guessing the machine was installed in 2001, so if anyone could provide a best guess as to what series it may be is appreciated.

Ken

It's possible for the Series letter of the SLC-5/04 to make a difference, but in my opinion it's unlikely.

A very early Series A controller (1993 vintage) might have an EEPROM that won't accept a firmware upgrade. There were a couple thousand sold.

If this machine's program relies on a feature that is not present in the replacement controller, then the only way to get a firmware upgrade is to send the controller through Rockwell's remanufacturing process.

If can't guess about what features the current controller might have. Maybe it uses DF1 Radio Modem, or Modbus RTU Master or a particular DH+ command to an unusual device. Maybe it relies on a specific feature for which there was a bug fix.

But in general, I would expect to grab a SLC-5/04 controller off the shelf and be able to use it successfully to replace any failed SLC-5/04 of any Series and Firmware Revision. The product has been very stable for a very long time; the last firmware change was in the summer of 2008.

Not quite correct... the OP is asking about series not model

Ken, you can go from a A to B or B to C without issues but you may have problems (not always) going from a C to B or B to A, rupej is talking about a L541 compared to a L542 or L543

Whoops, good catch there.

I may have what you need, as long as you don’t need a L543.
Just include an inventory of cpu,power supply,rack and cards. That way you’ll have a complete spare system to practice/experiment with. Probably less than 1k.

Thanks all

Our sister plant has one on the way. It is a L543 series D.

I think we will be OK to have this one prepped and ready.

Thank you all again for helping me out.
Ken