Can not Connect to SLC 5/05

Leukic

Hey everyone! It has been a while since I have had an issue to post about but here I am back to gather some knowledge from yall.

SLC5/05 talks to an desktop computer with VIA Ethernet to trend the kilns absorbing process. There is NO RSlogix on this computer just Rslinx. Now As you can see if this picture It SEES the plc and knows that it is there.
https://ibb.co/WBj4n0f

Now when I connect my laptop to the plc via Ethernet You get to see this
https://ibb.co/CB3nNZN

I have also tried to connect via 1747uic cable set up.

I am just not able to even see the device in RSLinx at all. Here is another picture of the plc using both ports of serial coms to the small hmi screen and rj45 ethernet to the pc.
https://ibb.co/kx4WmzW

Basicaly what I was doing was just removed the ethernet cable from the desktop and connecting my laptop.

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly, the comms between the PLC and desktop PC are working fine, but you can't get comms between the PLC and your laptop. Maybe you have already checked this, but I would check:
-is the laptop IP address set to Static?
-is the Subnet and Gateway of the laptop correct (same as on the desktop PC)?
-are you sure the laptop Ethernet port is ok (not damaged, and you have used it for other comms recently)?

What is the IP address of the laptop network interface you are connecting to the SLC-5/05 ? In general, it will have to be 192.168.10.x so that it's on the same subnet as the SLC-5/05 controller.

I can't explain why your 1747-UIC doesn't seem to work. As long as your laptop's RSLinx node number doesn't conflict with one of the existing nodes, you should be able to browse the network.

This is usually pretty simple stuff. The first step, I think, is to open a CMD window on your laptop and do IPCONFIG /ALL to determine how your network interfaces are set up.

The most common mistake is to leave your laptop in the conventional DHCP mode, like when it's connected to your office network. You need to set up a fixed IP address that is on the 192.168.10.x subnet.

So if I understand correctly, the comms between the PLC and desktop PC are working fine, but you can't get comms between the PLC and your laptop. Maybe you have already checked this, but I would check:
-is the laptop IP address set to Static?
-is the Subnet and Gateway of the laptop correct (same as on the desktop PC)?
-are you sure the laptop Ethernet port is ok (not damaged, and you have used it for other comms recently)?

I can ping the plc via cmd prompt on the laptop.
The plc device shows up as unrecognized in rslinx on the laptop but shows up on the desktop

what version of rslinx is on the laptop?
the slc may be of a newer firmware rev than what rslinx on the laptop can support.

are you using ethernet or ethernet ip in rslinx?
check the comms cable you are trying to connect with.
how are you connecting to the plc? direct connection or over a switch?
if its a switch, maybe the port you are connecting to has a different configuration programmed for that port. we have multiple sets of port configurations. Network 1, network 2, analog, wifi, camera....

james

I can ping the plc via cmd prompt on the laptop.

Unplug the SLC-5/05 and try again to be sure you're really PINGing the SLC-5/05.

Also, try typing the IP address of the SLC-5/05 into a Web browse to see if you can connect to the controller that way.

In the "RSWho" browse, delete the entry for the ETH-1 driver, then open and close RSWho to make it re-try its browse. This doesn't delete the driver, just the browsing object.

The "Unrecognized Device" with a red X suggests that the laptop can't connect to the SLC-5/05 at all. The ETH-1 driver will show "unrecognized device" for anything in its station list until the device is actually connected and identified; the presence of that icon with a red X generally means that it's not replying to RSLinx at all, rather than replying with invalid or unrecognized identity information.

I am not able to connect via iP address in a web browser. I am starting to suspect my laptop as I can open up a web browser on the desktop

Check your laptop network adapter settings
On the Ethernet adapter make sure the TCP properties are correct.
Also, try disabling the WiFi adapter if it has one. And if there are any VM or other Ethernet adapters listed disable them.
Make sure the laptop's IP does not conflict with anything else, make sure it is not set to Obtain Auto.
Then make sure the subnet is correct. Try 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0

After a few hours of updating the computer last night at home, I was hoping that would solve the issue.

I just left a machine and was able to connect to it via the 1747uic rs485 with NO issues.
This slc5/05 is the ONLY one we have and it shows only Ethernet or RS232 for a connection.
I tried connecting rs232 cable directly to the controller. Com port 1 hit auto configure and nothing says "Unable to verify settings due to packet time out. check cable" So that racks my brain.
I still can not even get the module to pull up in a web broswer!connect. When i do connect via ethernet. I am stumped atm.

I think you have some more essential problems understanding your computer operating system settings.

Regarding the serial driver: The "Autoconfigure" button in the DF1 Full Duplex driver is irrelevant because you're using DH485 protocol on that controller. You can't connect directly to it, and you only use the DF1 Full Duplex driver (or the 1747-UIC driver) when you are using a 1747-UIC or equivalent.

The most common issue with 1747-UIC is that you need to verify that you're using the correct COM port number. Check your computer's Devices settings to verify that a 1747-UIC is using the COM port number you expect, and set the driver up for that COM port number.

Let's step back to the IP address settings of the laptop.

What is the IP address of the network interface card that you are using to connect to the SLC-5/05 ?

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that you have not set the IP address of your laptop to be the same as the SLC-5/05 ? That would explain why you get a response when you PING the address, yet you can't connect with RSLinx or a web browser.

Connect up again, and PING the SLC-5/05. If you get a response, then type "ARP -A" and post the results.

Then disconnect the SLC-5/05 from the network, and PING again.

Alright BREAKTHROUGH!!! I feel stupid. The slc has a rs232 AIC to a DH485 link coupler to be able to run the hmi on the panel. I just unplugged the hmi and plugged in my 1747uic and magic.

Ken I was typing as you were. Let me save the program and ill try to connect via the ethernet again.

You probably had a DH485 node number conflict. I really wish RSLinx and the 1747-UIC did a better job of letting you know about such a conflict, but instead it just doesn't connect.

DH485 node numbers are 0 through 31. On small machines I use (1) for the PLC and (2) for the HMI, and leave (0) for my laptop/UIC.

DH485 has an optimizing feature where you can limit the highest node number that is "polled" in the token-passing feature that lets all the nodes communicate, so you can exclude higher node numbers and the network "cycles" faster. So sometimes you can end up building a network where you can't connect a laptop/UIC without unplugging something else.

You can paint yourself into a similar corner with Ethernet if you try, though on Class A subnets like yours there's a broader number of nodes (255) that gives you a better chance of selecting an unused address.