Using RSLinx via VPN

Kidblue

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I've done a quick search here for details on using VPN to connect remotely to a customers site, but can't quite find a definitive answer to my problem...

I've managed to establish the VPN with little trouble to the clients intranet. The problem is i can't seem to find an obvious way of pointing RSLinx to use the newly created network connection (the VPN sw creates a 'Safenet Virtual Adapter Interface' for me to connect to so it doesn't interfere with my own intranet settings) - but i can't seem to find a way of browsing via the 'virtual' port???

Am i going to need RSlinx Gateway (or similar) or can the basic Linx lite do it?

Any help appreciated......:)

There are two Ethernet drivers in RSLinx software; the "Ethernet Devices" driver and the "EtherNet/IP" driver.

The Ethernet Devices driver is the one for which you need to enter the IP address of each device you want to communicate with. This driver easily accepts IP addresses on different networks, and relies on your PC's operating system to route packets to the correct network.

The EtherNet/IP driver is a "browsing" driver that uses a broadcast message to detect EtherNet/IP devices on a given IP subnet. By default each driver instance browses only the local subnet, but when you create a new driver you can tell it to browse a remote subnet. Enter the default gateway IP address that's associated with the VPN network adapter into the "Remote Subnet" field.

Some VPN's can't deal very well with broadcast packets and you might not be able to use the EtherNet/IP driver with your particular VPN. There can be some glitches with some VPN's and the ordinary Ethernet Devices driver, but that is for another troubleshooting session.

Ordinary RSLinx Lite can do all of these functions; you don't need RSLinx Gateway or RSLinx Professional.

Ken,

Whatever you're being paid just ain't enough!! :geek:

Just tried it now and it connects perfectly (can now see the 5/05 and the PV+1000).

I was convinced i would need to enter all sorts of bridging IP's and subnets - but all i've done is created a new ETH-1 driver and just typed the device IP's in (132.147 etc) et voila!! (after first establishing the VPN virtual connection)

Thanks very much! (y)

Rob

The particular customer we are dealing with got me to download and install the file below (see link).

You need version 7.3 of Watchguard mobile user VPN lite.

After installing the software, he then sent me, via email, a 'Security Policy' file (.wgx) which basically contains all of the details necessary to negotiate the VPN (username, password, IP addresses subnets etc), which he sets up.

Once the policy is imported, you pretty much connect from any ip address you want. The appeal of this particular arrangement is that no notice is required if you connect from different locations - as long as you use the PC with the security policy installed...

Hope this helps. (y)

http://195.177.130.11/wiki/downloads/WatchGuard_MobileUser_VPN_muvpnlite_v73.exe

I know its a really old thread but....

There are two Ethernet drivers in RSLinx software; the "Ethernet Devices" driver and the "EtherNet/IP" driver.

The Ethernet Devices driver is the one for which you need to enter the IP address of each device you want to communicate with. This driver easily accepts IP addresses on different networks, and relies on your PC's operating system to route packets to the correct network.

The EtherNet/IP driver is a "browsing" driver that uses a broadcast message to detect EtherNet/IP devices on a given IP subnet. By default each driver instance browses only the local subnet, but when you create a new driver you can tell it to browse a remote subnet. Enter the default gateway IP address that's associated with the VPN network adapter into the "Remote Subnet" field.

Some VPN's can't deal very well with broadcast packets and you might not be able to use the EtherNet/IP driver with your particular VPN. There can be some glitches with some VPN's and the ordinary Ethernet Devices driver, but that is for another troubleshooting session.

Ordinary RSLinx Lite can do all of these functions; you don't need RSLinx Gateway or RSLinx Professional.

Hey guys, I'm sorry I'm getting quite late in the game here...

I've just recently created a vpn using openvpn, and I'm having the same issues as Kidblue, however on my end I am able to ping other devices in the client side... All except the PLC. If I use RSLinx, I can't see devices through either Ethernet/IP nor Ethernet. My openvpn is set as a Tun not as a Tap therefore I don't have the same subnet.

but if I SSH to a device in the PLC's local network, I am able to ping the PLC without a problem.

In my server's router / gateway I've opened all kinds of ports including UDP/TCP 2222, UDP/TCP 44818, 443 TCP, 1194 UDP. And nothing works...

I'm beginning to think I might need a layer-2 vpn...

I would be really grateful if you guys could help me out please.

P.S. please assume the PLC is properly setup and has a valid IP address and is ready for programming/interaction with rslinx.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum necroposter!

Don't bother with the Ethernet I/P driver, there is a good enough chance that it won't be able to discover devices. Using the Ethernet Devices driver will keep things as simple as possible.

Being that you can ping some devices on the client side but not the PLC's, I'd suspect that there is no gateway address specified in the PLC. Can you check that? just a thought...

Last edited:
I actually did some similar set up years ago
high speed dial up modem with voice over ip
I think the modem was 120K baud rate with voice to voice through the same modem
the dial up modem put my computer running RSLinx directly on the remote network
to both systems I look like I was connected as local connection
It worked well enough for me to stay connected over 8 hours a day for about 4 days to do a major upgrade to the program while the machine was running at full production
that was quite a few years ago before the internet was readily available
To this day I have not seen the machine upgrades in person or even pictures
in case you ask I did write the original program and operator interface

Being that you can ping some devices on the client side but not the PLC's, I'd suspect that there is no gateway address specified in the PLC. Can you check that? just a thought...

Thanks for the response! I'm going to be honest I'm not 100% sure how to add the gateway to the PLC.... which gateway would I need to add? the client gateway or the server gateway?

thanks a lot!