Modicon PLC

Mpoon

Modicon PLC Post #1

Testing, I am new here.
My first question.
Are there any people have Modicon PLC programming experence?
I need some help to understand the I/O structure of the Modicons.
I have good experence on AB product, not Modicons. software is(ProWorxNxT)
Are there any simple book/manual or online material that I can read.

Thank you for your kindly response

Modicon

Hi and welcome,

There are fewer of us Modicon users all the time it seems but we are still here.

If you ask a specific question it will be answered. Probably by someone more knowledgable than me but I'll give you what I can.

I have 10 years experience using Modsoft programming software on 984, Quantum etc.

My workplace has not yet switched to Proworx.

Brian

specific question

My specific question are.....

1: Is the Modicon Processor also have simular data file setup?
2:How is the Rack and slot I/O addres. such as how many slot in a rack. how many I/O in a slot?

I just want to undeerstand the I/O and all internal word/bits
arrangements. In AB products it has data table, I is input file, O is output, then B3 for internal bit,T4 is Timer,C5 is Counter,R6 is Control file,N7 is interger file,

Q3 : Is the Modicon Processor also have simular data file setup?
and how is the Rack and slot I/O address

Thanks again

I'm sorry that I saw the PM before I saw your reply here.
I hope I answered some basics. to recap.

1 ?

2. Depends on the product line, typically 5, 7, or 9 slots/rack
Depends on the I/O card, 4, 8, 16, 32 inputs/outputs

3. Addressing is established in the I/O mapping or Traffic Cop

0xxxx discrete outputs and internal coils
1xxxx discrete inputs
3xxxx analog inputs
4xxxx analog registers

More detailed questions equal more detailed answers.

check out the www.shneider-electric.com

Brian.

You have to be a little more specific. Each Modicon model (such as Quantum or Momentum) has different I/O addressing schemes, and for some of the models you have to do bit stripping to access the discrete I/O. In some cases you can assign I/O address ranges, and in others the ranges are fixed. For some analog modules the I/O has to be configured and initialized, and for some not.

There is no separate file structure for bits, integers, floating point, etc. You have to pick the right group from the list Brian provided, and the PLC takes care of the rest.

I'm not familiar with ProWorx, which I believe only does 984 compatible ladder logic.

The Modicon is a little harder to get used to than Allen Bradley, but essentially you can do anything with it you can with RSLogix.

When you come back with more specific questions, you'll want to include the model number of the items in question. Modicaon is actually a conglomeration of old Modicon stuff, new Modicon stuff, and Telemechanique stuff.

All of the Modicon processors have the same addressing scheme, especially when using 984LL software such as ProWORX NxT. Momentum I/O numbers do not line up with the terminal strip numbers because Momentum can be used in the "old" Modicon format, new IEC systems with integrated processor, and as block I/O over many different communication/network protocols. Bit stripping is usually only required when using comination (analog and discrete) modules but the format is still the same.