RSLinx 2.58 Hanging - Win2008 R2

burbrink

We're running RSLinx 2.58 on Win2008 R2.

We've had some issues with it "locking up". Only way to getting it running is to use Task Manager and Kill the process.

RSLinx is configured to execute as a service so it's difficult to view any info.

Any ideas?

Steve

Last edited:
We're using an Ethernet interface.... Why do you make the "serial port" comment?

As I stated, if the serial port is configured in RSLinx and its run as a service, then the serial port is dedicated to RSLinx and no other alications can use it. Just another reason I use to not run it as a service.

Is there some reason you're using it as a service?

What precisely do you consider "locking up", and what precisely do you consider "getting it running" ? How often does this occur ? How long has the system been running ? What other software is running on the same server ? What hardware is the server running on ?

Is "locking up" a failure to launch the RSLinx Classic GUI ? A failure to launch the RSWho browser from within an application like RSLogix 5000 ? Or a failure of the OPC Server to respond to client requests ?

The other questions I'd ask are which Ethernet driver you are running, how many clients (and what type !) are attached via OPC. Any other information you can give about which NIC adapter the driver is bound to, the hardware you're running on, and any information from the Windows services manager or system logs would be great.

What are you trying to do when it locks up?

What drivers do you have set in RS Linx?

How long do you leave it before using Ctrl+Alt+Del?

Mark

Yeah and all the things Ken said!!!!

Last edited:
Let's try enumerating the questions:

1. Please describe in detail what you consider a "lockup" of RSLinx Classic.
2. Do you restart the service manually, reboot to allow an automatic startup, or allow it to start up on demand ?
3. How often does this "lock up" occur ?
4. Did the system ever run without "locking up" ?
5. Have there been any changes to the OS (Windows Updates or reconfigurations) that coincide with the "lockup" behavior ?
6. Are you accessing this server using the console or using Remote Desktop ?
7. What other software runs on this server ? FactoryTalk View ? Custom software ? Webservers ? Mailservers ? Databases ?
8. What hardware is the server running on ?
9. Is RSLinx serving local OPC clients, remote OPC clients, or RSLinx API clients like RSLogix ?
10. Which Ethernet driver are you running (Ethernet Devices or EtherNet/IP) ?
11. How many controllers are you communicating with ?
12. How many OPC Topics are you running ?
13. Please provide any useful information you can from the FactoryTalk Diagnostics log or the Windows Event Log that pertains to RSLinx Classic.

Let's try enumerating the questions:

2. Do you restart the service manually, reboot to allow an automatic startup, or allow it to start up on demand ?
5. Have there been any changes to the OS (Windows Updates or reconfigurations) that coincide with the "lockup" behavior ?
7. What other software runs on this server ? FactoryTalk View ? Custom software ? Webservers ? Mailservers ? Databases ?
9. Is RSLinx serving local OPC clients, remote OPC clients, or RSLinx API clients like RSLogix ?
13. Please provide any useful information you can from the FactoryTalk Diagnostics log or the Windows Event Log that pertains to RSLinx Classic.
Sorry for posting the first reply .. see more questions.
Our product uses RSLinx as an OPC server. It receives unsolicited messages sent initiated by PLCs as well as polls for data as well.
"Locking up" - RSlinx quits serving to our OPC client. The Windows service manager can not stop it, it can only be killed via task manager.

2. Do you restart the service manually, reboot to allow an automatic
startup, or allow it to start up on demand ?
Service is started automatically.

Once every two weeks, after may 200,000+ transactions.

Well, it runs for a while then locks up.

No

Remote desktop.

Custom .Net 4.0 software, Apache WEb Server and MSSQL 2008R2.

VMWware and is a Windows 2008R2 installation. 4 GB RAM.

RSLinx is serving local OPC clients.

Ethernet Devices

Four Contrologix

Eight Topics total - 4 unsolicited and 4 polled

Nothing interesting at the time of lock up.

With the way we implement our product, we actually need to increase the parameters mentioned in the pdf article. We've found that under heavy loads, the defaults don't work and cause delays in messaging.

I'm hitting the same or similar issue. I have RSLinx Classic running on a Win2008 R2 PC. We are connecting to RSLinx using OPC clients written in VB6.

RSlinx locks up and we stop receiving data changed events. We don't see any errors unless we try to connect another client to the OPC server.

We have to either kill the process or reboot to recover.

We are running with the default CIP settings.

Did you ever find a solution to your lockups?