RSLinx and Windows 2003 Server X64

So RSLinx 2.5X will work ok with 2003 Server X64? I have a very high speed application where I am receiving unsolicited messages (10-15 a second) that I am considering using all X64 components (SQL 2005), etc for performance reasons. I don't want to go down this path without some assurances of criticial components working in this environment. The Rockwell website makes no mention of 2003 X64 arhcitecture.

In general, does anyone have practical experience with X64 and is it's performance worth the risk of change? I have read alot of articiles highlighting x64 architecture and it seems to point in the direction that 64 bit computing is ready.

64-bit computing is far from ready, but it is definitely on the horizon. My experience with x64 has provided absolutely no benefit in performance.

To truly take advantage, you need applications written for it and there is where it falls short today. Very few apps out there today (and I would guess none in this industry) are designed to use the 64-bit architecture.

The bigger issue though really is with hardware driver support. Few manufacturers are providing x64 drivers. Most manufacturers that are working on delivering x64 drivers are doing so for Windows Vista and not XP. So if you plug in a new video card or a new ethernet card, is there an x64 compatible driver available. I would research that first.

I would imagine, although I haven't tried it and it isn't officially supported, that RSLinx and many other apps would probably run just fine. However, I seriously doubt you will see any performance benefit in the x64 environment over x32.

Again, this is for today. Like I said, x64 is on the horizon. At some point everything will probably be 64-bit.

Driver support ... If it's an "Out of the Box" Dell server with drivers, would you see driver issues with it?

I have a small C++ application, that can be compiled for X64 architecture and the reset of the application is 99% SQL Server 2005 (which there is a based X64 version) ... maybe I'd see a benefit?

I appreciate your opinion.

If 99% of what you are doing is SQL2005 then you will certainly see performance benefits with x64 over x32. From what I have read the performance is fantastic.

If you are buying a server from a big name then you won't have driver issues out of the box. My worry starts when I start adding hardware or software to that unit. You mentioned RSLinx which is not a native 64-bit app. While it may run, I doubt it will perform any faster than it would if it were running on an x32 platform. In fact, many x32 apps run slower when run in an x64 environment.

OG