Need Help with CompactLogix 1769-L18ERM-BB1B and Kinetix300 2097-V31PR0 in Studio5k

Creina

Hello,

I am a bit familiar with PLC programming, but I've never dealt with servo drives before. I am having a hard time even establishing a comm between the PLC and the Drive. I have them connected through Ethernet, with their set IPs and so on. I can find them in RsLinx, and can connect to the drive directly through A-B MotionView, but my drive is always in Fault. I have read a couple of manuals here and there, watched countless youtube videos and read through many forums, but I can not get over this hurdle, everyone seems to start ahead of where I am, when the communication already exists. I would appreciate a dummy's guide on how to set up communication between the two, and start sending/reading data from each other.

The only two physical connections are Ehternet/IP and the Servo's 120V input.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

my drive is always in Fault.

Can you provide details ? The drive's LED display should have a code, and both MotionView and Studio 5000 should give you some additional information on whether the drive is faulted due to communications, or the safety circuit, or for some other reason.

A "take a step back" moment as well:

The Kinetix 300 is an indexing servo drive that behaves like a cyclic I/O connection on EtherNet/IP with a ControlLogix or CompactLogix. Your 2097-V31PR0 is a Kinetix 300.

The very similarly named and numbered Kinetix 350 drives support CIP Motion over Ethernet, so they can run as Motion axes in the Logix operating system and coordinate with other axes.

The equivalent size part number for a Kinetix 350 would be 2097-V31PR0-LM, with the suffix meaning "Logix Motion".

Any ControlLogix or CompactLogix controller can run a Kinetix 300. To run a Kinetix 350, you must have a controller and/or network module that supports CIP Motion.

Your 1769-L18ERM-BB1B controller supports both ordinary I/O connections (Kinetix 300) and CIP Motion over Ethernet (Kinetix 350).

The fact that you can connect to the Kinetix 300 drive and run the MotionView software proves conclusively that it's a Kinetix 300; the 350's do not need that software and will not connect to it.

So your Kinetix 300 has to be in the Ethernet I/O tree in the Studio 5000 Controller Organizer as a Kinetix 300. Make sure you have not inadvertently configured it as a Kinetix 350, which would expect to be part of a Motion Group and linked to an Axis object.

Last year one of my junior engineers made a similar mistake because we use both 300 and 350 drives, and he grabbed the wrong one out of inventory. It took me a couple of hours of wondering if I'd gone nuts to realize the drive had the wrong part number.