You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Unread November 27th, 2019, 11:26 AM   #1
jkerekes
United States

FTView SE 11.0 Security Password Issue

I have a really bizarre password issue with FTView SE 11.0. More than one system, both on Distributed and Station editions. All on VersaViews. Using FT User accounts.

Issue1: No minimum length, no complexity enforcement. A two character Password in the form of a number followed by a letter. If the number is correct, the letter entered doesn't matter, and SE logs you on.

Issue2: Changed minimum length to six. not complexity enforcement. Five letters followed by a sing number, for a total of six characters. Again if the first five are correct, the number doesn't matter, SE logs you in.

Haven't experimented to see if other patterns emerge. Tech. support can't replicate this issue. Anyone have any ideas what is going on here? Thanks.
Unread November 28th, 2019, 03:45 PM   #2
celichi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkerekes View Post
I have a really bizarre password issue with FTView SE 11.0. More than one system, both on Distributed and Station editions. All on VersaViews. Using FT User accounts.

Issue1: No minimum length, no complexity enforcement. A two character Password in the form of a number followed by a letter. If the number is correct, the letter entered doesn't matter, and SE logs you on.

Issue2: Changed minimum length to six. not complexity enforcement. Five letters followed by a sing number, for a total of six characters. Again if the first five are correct, the number doesn't matter, SE logs you in.

Haven't experimented to see if other patterns emerge. Tech. support can't replicate this issue. Anyone have any ideas what is going on here? Thanks.
Sounds like a serious issue.

Go direct to your channel manager at Rockwell and or your distributor.

Get them to go direct to product group with your existing ticket number.
Unread November 28th, 2019, 08:16 PM   #3
jkerekes
United States

It is a serious issue. One Iíve never come across before. We do have the issue escalated. I was hoping someone here had experienced this. Rockwell canít replicate the issue
Unread November 29th, 2019, 09:37 AM   #4
crawler009
Switzerland

Hi jkerekes

yes, the problem is only if you have selected the new encryption method SHA-256 (witch greater security ).
System -> Policies -> System policies -> Security policy -> Password encryption method.

Change back to the old one MD5 and it works fine. Or use active directory user mangement.

Yes, there a lot of ways to reproduce the error. The password passes if the first half of the password is correct,
and the length or the length -1 char.

Best regards
crawler009

Last edited by crawler009; November 29th, 2019 at 09:40 AM.
Unread November 29th, 2019, 12:12 PM   #5
jkerekes
United States

Thanks for the insight. I did look at the encryption methods. I’m not positive which one is selected. Do you know which is the default? I’ll have to verify this on Monday. This must be the issue. The only downside is that the accounts need to be recreated. But if it fixes the issue, it has to be done. Thanks again.
Unread December 2nd, 2019, 01:40 PM   #6
jkerekes
United States

That was it! Thanks for your help and insight. BTW, how did you learn about this issue? People are asking me. Thanks again.
Unread December 2nd, 2019, 02:48 PM   #7
Maxkling
United States

There are knowledge base articles about it.

Article 1088797 states SHA256 does not properly encrypt password. It shows how to install a patch to correct the issue.
Unread December 2nd, 2019, 03:03 PM   #8
jkerekes
United States

Wait a second. Why didn’t Rockwell tech. Support find this? And this applies to FTView 6.1. We’re talking about version 11. And it’s still an issue? T HTG and you very much for point this out. Grrr.
Unread December 2nd, 2019, 03:16 PM   #9
KuulKuum
United States

Quote:
Wait a second. Why didnít Rockwell tech. Support find this? And this applies to FTView 6.1. Weíre talking about version 11. And itís still an issue? T HTG and you very much for point this out. Grrr.
The RA knowledgebase article is referring to FactoryTalk Services Platform 6.10 and 6.11 not FTV 6.1
Unread December 2nd, 2019, 03:23 PM   #10
jkerekes
United States

I misread that. Thanks for the clarification. It still doesnít explain why tech support didnít alert us to this. They kept escalating it up. Is it included in a current patch roll up? I have to verify witch month of patches we have installed

Last edited by jkerekes; December 2nd, 2019 at 03:26 PM.
Unread December 2nd, 2019, 06:13 PM   #11
Maxkling
United States

Looks like itís a separate patch.

https://download.rockwellautomation....id=RAid1088797

Itís hard to research on my phone if itís been included in a roll up patch.

Looks like latest roll up is 9/2/19, the FTServices patch above is 8/12/19. So I would assume it would be included in the September release, but not sure.
Unread December 2nd, 2019, 07:10 PM   #12
jkerekes
United States

Thanks again for everyoneís help.
Unread December 3rd, 2019, 09:09 AM   #13
crawler009
Switzerland

Quote:
That was it! Thanks for your help and insight. BTW, how did you learn about this issue? People are asking me. Thanks again.
It was a customer who found out at FAT that he could login with a wrong password, and he wasnt so happy about that.
Unread December 3rd, 2019, 10:00 AM   #14
jkerekes
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler009 View Post
It was a customer who found out at FAT that he could login with a wrong password, and he wasnt so happy about that.
I can imagine! We found it during pre-FAT testing.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum