Analog display on HMI

RJ29

I am using a panelview plus 7 HMI which displays temperature readings in an analog indicator, however after sometime the analog values show random readings which go out of scale. i have checked scalings and everything is proper, when PLC and HMI is powered on, everything works fine but after an hour or so the HMI starts showing random value.

NO, the analog values are proper, its just the HMI that is creating problems, had it been an issue since the beginning , i would have figured it out, but the analog readings start showing full scale readings in between.

the actual analog input is 16 ma and i get the corresponding 70 degree reading initially, but after some time,the actual analog input is still 16 ma and i get 108 degree which is not even in my range

Was there some work done on the machine since the problem started? Is there somewhere else in code that maybe is getting written to that PLC variable?

Make a temporary new numeric display alongside the suspect one and point it to the scaled analogue value in the PLC.

Compare the two when the first is reading incorrectly.

...also, do check and see if there is a signal interference in the neighborhood of the analog signal wire that induces an interference after the machine has worked for a while...

Was there some work done on the machine since the problem started? Is there somewhere else in code that maybe is getting written to that PLC variable?

Nope, this problem started recently, i took the system online and found that the analogue readings are proper i get a count of 12100 properly when i monitor the analog pin and as per my scaling calculation it converts properly to 70 degrees, even the tag is linked properly to HMI numeric display..

Make a temporary new numeric display alongside the suspect one and point it to the scaled analogue value in the PLC.

Compare the two when the first is reading incorrectly.

Tried it already, both the displays show same readings
Logically since both of them are linked to same scaled tag

...also, do check and see if there is a signal interference in the neighborhood of the analog signal wire that induces an interference after the machine has worked for a while...

That could be an issue since my system is operating near a very high current Rectifier ( 30kA) , will check the same for inteference and as a precaution I'll use shielded wires for analogue inputs and outputs.. Let's see what happens.. will get back to you soon

If it was interference the you should see it in the PLC too. You can write a trap in the PLC so if the value goes high you latch a bit or move the value into a holding register. Then you will know for sure if its happening in the PLC

As others mentioned, I'd start with troubleshooting the PLC signal first. It's highly unlikely that a simple HMI read would cause the value to fluctuate or change from what it is on the PLC.

Write a very basic trap that would do the following:
IF (current GRT saved) MOVE (current to saved)
I'm assuming that pseudocode is fine and I don't need to show the ladder implementation...

That way you can capture the highest reading and you can rule out that this isn't happening on the PLC

My initial guess is that it's either interference, problem with the wiring or a setting on the sensor.

Cheers,
Vlad

That could be an issue since my system is operating near a very high current Rectifier ( 30kA) , will check the same for inteference and as a precaution I'll use shielded wires for analogue inputs and outputs.. Let's see what happens.. will get back to you soon

Should have done that in the first instance.

Also make sure your cable shields are only grounded at one end only. Grounding both ends could create a Ground Loop, i.e. passing current, in the cable shields

Thank you everyone for your quick response, i appreciate that. I've asked the engineer to replace all the wires with shielded wires, it'll take a few days. I'll post the outcome of the same soon.
Once again thanks for your help