Redlion G3 multiple connections

Mr_Wizard

Hello all. Noob here.

Hopefully someone here has had experiences with this. I'm trying to 'share' data tags from multiple G3's to be read/write on a single G3. I've read a bit on a OPC, but it seems that Crimson 3 no longer has OPC Server service.

Basically, I have multiple PLC's connected to a single G3 with read/write access. With a few of these setups over Modbus TCP/IP connections. I'm trying to connect to the G3's with a single HMI to control all the PLC's connected without having to map directly to each PLC.
I've attached a diagram of what I'm trying to accomplish.
-- Seeing if the Green G3 will used the tags in the Blue G3's with read/write access.

Thanks!

g3.jpg

Look at Gateway Tags. Since the data is already in the 2 G3's connected to the PLC's using gateway tags would be the simplest method. Set up your singe G3 (the green one) as master on Modbust TCP.

Clay B.

I didn't even think of that. I'm still learning all the tricks of the trade. Thank you for your insight.

Thanks.

Clay is correct - this is the way to do what you want to do. However, direct access to the PLCs from both the Blue and Green G3xx displays isn't that hard either.

I really wanted to comment on the OPC issue. It is still there, but the comms are slow - I recommend again, that you follows Clay's recommendation.

With the G3's I reserve the OPC to send data to a PC for inventory, events etc. Something I can send as bundle every few seconds or so. Anything I need in less than a second I try to use Gateway blocks. Also with gateway blocks you are only calling the data when you need it (when the screen it is used on is open) so this helps keep traffic down also.

Clay is correct - this is the way to do what you want to do. However, direct access to the PLCs from both the Blue and Green G3xx displays isn't that hard either.

I really wanted to comment on the OPC issue. It is still there, but the comms are slow - I recommend again, that you follows Clay's recommendation.

I wish I could be able to directly 'talk' to each PLC with the 'Green' screen, but the diagram was just an example. I'll have 5 PLC's connected to each 'Blue' screen and 4 'Blue' screens connected to one 'Green' screen. G3 is limited to 10 ports. I would need 20 :(

I wish I could be able to directly 'talk' to each PLC with the 'Green' screen, but the diagram was just an example. I'll have 5 PLC's connected to each 'Blue' screen and 4 'Blue' screens connected to one 'Green' screen. G3 is limited to 10 ports. I would need 20 :(

It isn't ideal but you can put more than one PLC on each port.