S7 PLC comms check to HMI (TP170A) on MPI

ISL_MAN

Is there a function in Step 7 for detecting communication failure between my S7 300 PLC and my HMI (TP170A) connected to the MPI port. I want the PLC to know if the communication fails.

Hi ISL_MAN!
Check the area pointer in your ProTool project; on my version (italian language) i have a pointer named "co-ordination" used for check from the plc if the OP is connected. I think that this pointer is like as a random number. If this number don't change on you DB probably your panel is disconnected.

Bye, bye

I've got two area pointers Event messages and Date/Time can't see anthing related to co-ordination. Is this becuase of the type of OP unit i'm using.

jumpier said:
Hi ISL_MAN!
Check the area pointer in your ProTool project; on my version (italian language) i have a pointer named "co-ordination" used for check from the plc if the OP is connected. I think that this pointer is like as a random number. If this number don't change on you DB probably your panel is disconnected.

Bye, bye

I'm sorry. Don't reading thtype of your OP.

Ok, try this way ...
With the Date/Time pointer, write a 6 word number your plc DB. Check continuously from your plc program if the time second change. If not, your connection failed

Thats worked a treat. Thanks

jumpier said:
I'm sorry. Don't reading thtype of your OP.

Ok, try this way ...
With the Date/Time pointer, write a 6 word number your plc DB. Check continuously from your plc program if the time second change. If not, your connection failed

Spoke to soon the way I did it I'd need to have my seconds displayed on every screen for the data change function to work. Still need some help please.

ISL_MAN said:
Thats worked a treat. Thanks

Can you not have the seconds on every screen? What about if you made the text colour the same as the background colour so no-one else could see it?

I've only used ProTool on PC-Stations, so I don't know whether a TP would also have a "Permanent Window" or not. If so put your seconds there they would always be on screen. Otherwise Johnny's idea sounds like the simplest solution.

Also for me the Johnny's idea sounds like the simplest solution.

For example if you have a "permanent screen area" in your project,
is possible insert the data/time in the first screen (then hide it adjusting the foreg. and backg. color) and each time you made a new screen you have the variable on the "permanent screen area". In this way you insert only one time the data/time tag in your project.