New PC, Dual Ethernet Port Access to Rslinx

SNK

I have a new PC that is equipped with dual Ethernet ports.
I am running an Ethernet Contrologix Gateway using a crossover cable from the Ethernet card to the one Ethernet port on the PC.

I am running Win2K.

I was wondering can I somehow connect my laptop, (with Rslinx and other software) to the other Ethernet port on the PC, and somehow browse to my DH+ network?

I realize that I can install a switch.
Is bridging the Ethernet ports an option? I don't see this in Win2K.

My network setup is like this..

My PC Ethernet addresses are;
Lan 1 192.168.0.12
lan 2 192.168.0.20

My Ethernet Card in the Gateway is set to 192.168.0.10

Can anyone comment on my options for a direct connection via Ethernet through the vacant port? (Lan 2)?

Weird situation, not having a switch easily available or XP on your new machine. But I can think of a handful of situations where that might be the case, and that's on only one cup of coffee.

You're right that Windows 2000 lacks a native Ethernet bridging feature between adapters. XP can do one, and of course the Server operating systems (2000/2003/2008) can do lots.

If you have RSLinx Gateway, you can bridge between your laptop-to-desktop network and your automation network (RSLinx Ethernet or EtherNet/IP driver.) That feature is traditionally used for remote access to ISA/PCI card driven networks like DH+ and ControlNet, but you can use it on an Ethernet network too.

You could also try to bridge the two networks with a Windows tool, like this open-source project:

http://www.ntkernel.com/w&p.php?id=20

Thanks Ken,

I was really just grasping at the point of post.
I thought that just maybe there was something soooo dead simple that I was overlooking. I am glad that you could answer my silly question. Maybe it wasn't so silly after all.

Actually, this is the first industrial PC that I have used with 2 Ethernet Ports. I have yet to find a use for the 2nd port.

In the olden days, at home, I had 2 ethernet cards. 1 to talk to my XBOX, and the other to get to the Net. It was obviously prior to the mass volume of managed switches and routers out there now.....

Thanks for the help Ken.