Creonics-SAM-EX

dalem

Good afternoon folks.

I know you all like digging way back into your memory banks, so here goes.

We have an old machine with a Creonics/SAM-EX MCC board in it. The main board (bottom one) in this stack has a problem and I'm trying to get the application out of this board to put in a new board I just purchased. I can connect to this and go to terminal mode and check a series of parameters but when I try to retrieve the whole application or parts of it with Access, I get a timeout error which also states no response from the MCC.

Anyone have any clues as to why I can not retrieve the application or control blocks from this board? Any suggestions for other things I can try? This is a spare board we have on hand but I need to have it operable. THe machine is scheduled to retire this year or soon there after, so an upgrade is out. For now, I just need to have a useable spare.

Thanks,
Dale

Sorry. I had to punch out this posts quickly, while home for lunch today. I meant to say that I have the Accel software to access this SAM-EX MCC board, not Access.

Any thoughts on transferring the application from one board to the next would be much appreciated.

I had some experiences with Creonics Max controllers. I do recall that the software barely worked under windows 2000, and I am sure it would only get worse with a newer OS.

I remember similar issues. Short spurts seemed to do okay, but when it came time to send or receive a large chunk of information, there were often errors. I saw the same occur with an old modicon servo controller. Win2k put a bunch of extra null characters in the transmission fouling up the app in the controller.

I would suggest running it under true DOS if possible, or DosBox (free download). Dosbox has performed well for me with two other dos based apps as far as serial comms goes.

So, what OS are you using?

Sorry it took so long to reply, but thanks for the tips. I have an old laptop with Win 95 on it. I tried it just booted to DOS, but no difference. I tried a couple different baud rates, but no difference as well. I can get into a set up menu in the MCC (SAM-EX) but still always fails to upload the application.. Could it be that the application was D/L with a different program? Reading in the Accel manual, I see it installs AOS , Accel's operating system? Could this be a differnt op system running, but the terminal mode of Accel and Hyper terminal can still talk to it enough to display messages and access the set up (parameter) of the application?

Thanks again for any suggestions.
Dale

IIRC, we had two different version of Accel, but I think the newer version worked with all our machines. It has been so long ago, that's about the only help I can offer.