Siemens MPI/DP serial adapter.

Tharon

I have a Siemens PC Adapter for MPI/DP, part number 6ES7 972-0CA23-0XA0.

It requires power to work, but many of the DP/MPI ports I run into don't have power available. Is there an adapter or some other way to get power to this PC adapter? I looked up the manual, and the USB type adapter has a part you can order to supply power to it, but I didn't see anything like that for the Serial adapter I have.

The MPI-adaptor I used (serial port/DB9-version) for years got it's power from the plc, meaning from the MPI-interface of the cpu.

So normally you only need to connect one side to the cpu and the other side to the pc.

No it is OK.
On the MPI/DP side the electrical level is RS485.
The descrition text is misleading, as the adapter is more like a gateway than a simple RS232/RS485 converter.

I know it gets it's power from the PLC, and that's the problem. I have a few machines that don't have power available on their DP or MPI ports.

I thought about cheating a 24V and 5V DC power supply onto a wired cable to power the adapter and extend the correct com pins through to the PLC, but I'm afraid I may damage something if the adapter power and com signals aren't sharing a common source.

Long story short:

Siemens 840D NCU (611U style) has a fault on the PLC and it will not RUN. I was trying to connect my laptop with Step 7 software to it in order to find out what fault is on the PLC, but none of the available MPI or DP ports on the NCU have the required 24V and 5V dc available.

Fault readout on the interface is:
"810004 – Stop/abort event, error analysis via Step 7 required."

Last edited: