How to copy comments fast?

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
Working with RSL 5K V28.
I have a couple of big 2 dim. [32,12] arrays that I want to fill in the comments for all the elements of the array. I know I could export the tags to Excel and do copy and paste, changing the array element each time. Just wondering if there is a faster way?

In the attached picture I show one set of data and comments. I would like to copy the same comments a total of 31 more times. Like I said I am wondering if there is a faster way to do this?

Thanks for the help!!

Array Capture.JPG

I turn to Excel and VBA for something like this.

On large projects, I keep much of my project design information in various Excel tables. If you are comfortable with VBA, you could easily put your comments in an Excel table along with the array tag reference, then run a script that would loop through your comments and create a .CSV file that you could import into Studio 5000.

Export the comments to a CSV file to see the formatting you need to make. You'll need to delete/filter out everything you don't need. I would delete everything except for a sample of the array you need comments for.

From there, work on the VBA you need to make a CSV file with the same format that you can import.

Generating tags and comments in this fashion saves me a heck of a lot of time and eliminates copy/paste errors.

Another option, create a UDT and embed the comments there. Of course this changes your PLC program quite a bit. Create a "DailyReportData" UDT, with a single "DATA" REAL[12] array. Put the comments there.

Then create a "Daily_Report_Data" tag using the "DailyReportData" UDT, size 32. I'm assuming you're collecting 12 data points each day for a month?

Day 1:
Daily_Report_Data[1].DATA[0]
Daily_Report_Data[1].DATA[1]
Daily_Report_Data[1].DATA[11]

Day 2:
Day 1:
Daily_Report_Data[2].DATA[0]
Daily_Report_Data[2].DATA[1]
Daily_Report_Data[2].DATA[11]

I like your second idea Paully!! I am not really good with VBA. I ended up just exporting the tag comments and using copy and paste to get everything filled in. It didn't take that long. I just wish I could do that in the Studio software but I made it work