Best practice to handle many softwares in Laptop

AB2005

Hi;

We have below mentioned softwares for PLCs, PVs drives etc. I want to ask what is the best practice to handle these softwares, should we install all these in host window or we should install another window in a virtual machine and split the installation of softwares in two/three windows? All these softwares are apart from other necessary softwares such as MS etc.

1. Rs Logix 5
  2. Rs Logix 500 + Emulator
  3. Rs Logix 5000 + other tools
  4. Factory Talk view
  5. RS View 32 Work
  6. RS Linx
  7. Drive executive
  8. Drive Explorer
  9. Power Flex Drives
  10. Software for OMRON PLCs
  11. Software for SIEMENS PLCs
  12. Software for Fatek PLC
  13. Software for Mitsubishi PLC
  14. Software for KOLMORGAN drives
  15. Control Technique drives
  16. YASKAWA drives
  17. GEFRAN drives

Last edited:
I would split them up into a couple VM's if you have the memory available or have a couple laptops... and still have images of them for back up after they are built

Almost every programmer I know carries multiple laptops.

I have 4 with me at all times.

The record I know of is the local Siemens programmer I deal with regularly - he carries 7 laptops with him.

A couple of mine have serial ports, 2 have PCMCIA slots for the Siemens 5512 card, 1 has the newer style PCMCIA slot, and they have all operating systems from XP to Win10 X64.

Almost every programmer I know carries multiple laptops.

I have 4 with me at all times.

The record I know of is the local Siemens programmer I deal with regularly - he carries 7 laptops with him.

A couple of mine have serial ports, 2 have PCMCIA slots for the Siemens 5512 card, 1 has the newer style PCMCIA slot, and they have all operating systems from XP to Win10 X64.

How many bags do you (or that guy) need when you fly? :cool:

When I fly I usually only take the one that I will be using.

Under certain circumstances I may pack a second if I plan on being online with a PLC and a HMI at the same time.

Thanks for inputs. Its mean i should create at least 2 VMs to menage these softwares.
Kindly also guide me if Rockwell and Siemens softwares can be installed in same window/VM? Someone told me that installation of both creates problem.

I usually group the softwares in VM by brand. All Siemens in Siemens VM, Rockwell in Rockwell VM, Omron in Omron VM, etc. The only problem is the Hard disk memory. The VMs I frequently use are stored in the hard disk and the others I kept in a removable media.

I have a 2 TB SSD for my VMs, and it's big enough/fast enough to not be a problem.

My experience is that Rockwell (and plenty of other brands) didn't play nice when it came to serial ports. Some brands have some magic you need to do so they will let go. I haven't heard about any brands having trouble sharing Ethernet. I've seen plenty of systems that have Studio5000 and Step7 installed side by side with no issues, but some people do.

Ultimately, one VM per brand is usually a safe bet, but you might be able to group some of them together.