GuardLogix in SIS Application

Hal9000

Hello everyone,

I am just starting on a new project that will encompass both process control and safety functions. This is a relatively small project and the HAZOP analysis has come back with a minimum target SIL level of 1. That said, future expansion may require a higher SIL level of 2. Therefore the design will be based on SIL 2.

I am hoping that the GuardLogix 5380 processor can satisfy both requirements, however, after reading other posts, I am unsure if it can act as both SIS and BPCS? I would assume it can but I believe these functions need to operate independently and perhaps running in separate CPU's? Would adding a safety partner get me around this issue or have Rockwell segregated the functions into the the single 5380 CPU so I don't need to worry too much?

The IO will be distributed throughout the plant. I'm considering 1734 point IO with safety modules would be ideal for this, mixing non-safety and safety in each remote IO outstation seems to be acceptable, but again I'm not seeing any clarity in regard to separating SIS from BPCS?

I've looked at the requirements of EN 61511 and I understand the need to identify Safety Instrumented Functions (SIFs). The client has identified about 6 SIF's. (some SIL 1 and some below that level). That seems straightforward enough once I've got my head around all the calculations etc. However, I need to add plant emergency stop buttons to this system and 61511 doesn't seem to cover that aspect (unless it's implied some way?). Should I be adopting another standard for plant e-stops? Some safety devices will be in manned "Test cells" and will also incorporate e-stops + door safety switches (SensaGuard), so my gut tells me I need to look at EN 62061?

If I talk to Safety Consultants I get the run around. I really need to conduct this project correctly and demonstrate I've followed the right standards to the best of my ability.

Any help, guidance would come greatly appreciated.

J

Loaded question... I've never used the Guardlogix for SIS applications, but I'm sure your local AB rep can help. I've always used a separate logic solver (Tricon) for SIS applications. A number of reasons to keep the BPCS separate from the SIS. With that Said I see more on more are dividing the processors in to BPCS & SIS sides..(Siemens S7).

In talking about E-stop, are you talking E-Stops or process shut down stops? When I think of E-stops I think of shutting down immediately, when I think of process stops..it may take 2-3 minutes to bring the process down.

Thanks Cornbread.

I'm waiting for my AB to reply to me on this subject. Hopefully it will be ok, the project is small, so I doubt it wouldn't stomach a separate Tricon type SIS.

I was talking about immediate shutdown. There will be a separate "controlled" plant shutdown facility at the control room HMI.