FactoryTalk View SE and ODBC

swphillips

I'm having difficulties getting ODBC set up in FactoryTalk View Studio for the purposes of datalogging, and I'm hoping that someone here can clarify the way it works.

I followed this video to set up an ODBC system data source in Windows. The "Test Data source" button at the end of setup confirmed that it could communicate with the database. I then went into FactoryTalk View Studio, and that ODBC source is not available in the datalog model setup menu.

I then used the "New..." button on Factory Talk View's System Data Source selection dialog box to create an ODBC source there. That process was virtually identical to the windows process, and the "Test Data Source" button confirmed that it could talk to the database. Furthermore, the "Create Tables" button in the datalog model setup window was able to actually create the tag, float, and string tables in my database. However, when I tried to start the datalog model, Factory Talk View gave the following error: "Unable to access ODBC data source. (Failed to connect to datasource)."

The curious thing to me is that FactoryTalk's ODBC list and Windows seem to have no correlation to each other. I've tried various techniques to create ODBC sources (using the default windows odbc, using windows odbcad32.exe, using factoryTalk, and doing all those again with "run as administrator"). I've attached screenshots for each of these ODBC data source lists.

My main problem is how to get the datalog model working, but I'd really like to know where FactoryTalk View Studio gets it's lists from. If I check the ODBC entry in the windows registry it only lists the ODBC sources that appear in the windows dialog boxes.

Windows_odbc_user.PNG Windows_odbc_system.PNG ftview_odbc.PNG

So, I will make an assumption, You are trying this on a 64bit system right?

So.. launching odbcad32.exe is going to default to the 64bit version.

You need to launch the 32bit administrator tool and add your DSN there.
You'll find that one under %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWOW64

Thanks for clearing that up for me. You're right, it turns out there are two versions of odbcad32.exe. The 32-bit version in folder %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 lists the same ODBC sources as FactoryTalk View.

Just running odbcad32.exe from the start menu ran the 64-bit version (which is located in %systemdrive%\Windows\System32).

Dear all,
I am facing similar problem,
i have done adjustment as processed by swphilip.
but still i am getting the same error.
My ODBC data source is not connecting.
I am using 64-bit system.
i have created ODBC data source in both 32 bit and 64 bit files, in 64-bit files , it is showing but not connecting.
in 32-bit files, the data source is not visible in FT View Data log model.
what can be the problem.
I am using FTView STUDIO (V9) for the development.

Regards,
AMIT

Amit, are you able to create the tables in FactoryTalk view in your database? Your issue could be with actually connecting to your SQL database, which for me was corrected by setting the log in credentials in factory talk view.

I did have a similar problem to what you're describing. I had to check the "Login Required" box in FT View and enter the windows user credentials there to get it to work in runtime (see attached screenshot).

It's possible you have your SQL database set up differently, and this doesn't work for you, but give it a try if you haven't already done so.

ftview_odbc_Setup.PNG

swphillips
i had tried doing that as well, but the problem still remains the same. i have done checking in 3 system and 1 new completely formatted system, but the problem has not changed.
can it be the issue of FactoryView software or SQL Software which i am installing/installed?
cause the installation i am doing are as per rockwell guidelines and i had done this previously which worked out well for me.
i had done the logging for regular as well as 21cfr11 systems, so i found no issue of data logging through ODBC in those systems.

Hi, i got the same problem under Windows 10 64 bit.
Thanks to Rockwell Support i could find a solution.
The solution for me was:
- Install/open the SQL Server managenment Studio
- Right click Security/Logins "New Login"
- Search "LOCAL SERVICE" and then ok
- Right click Security/Logins "New Login"
- Search "SERVICE" and then ok

For the new Logins "NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE" and NT AUTHORITY\SERVICE
assing the Server roles "sysadmin"

Now it should work.
The explanation why you have "Test completet sucessfully" when you do "Test Data source", but it doesnt work in FactoryTalk View is that
when you test you connect to the database as local user, but when FTV tries to connect it does it as a service.

Last edited:
Same ODBC problem with 64 bit windows 10

Hii, I am facing same problem.

I am using windows 10 64 bit.

I have created dsn in 32 and 64 bit too.

But when trying to connect in FT view it is generating error, saying unable to acess ODBC data source.

Can any body knowing how to solve this problem take my system online through Team Viewer and help me out???

Thanks,
Kaivalya Chavan.

+100 I had to setup factory talk with another database today, I followed the exact same steps I did with my first ones and and it's not working. It can see it, create the tables but when it tries to log it says that it can't find it.🔨

.....and this is where Inductive Automation’s Ignition is the best solution getting plc data into / out of a data base

100% agree. Small installation here, only 3000 or so tags logged historically, but flawless.
Until I can convince the powers that be to allow a complete switchover from FTView to Ignition, I'm replacing all of my FTView trends with a button just to launch an Ignition client for trending on the lines.