Connect laptop to a PLC-5/SLC or a Control Logix processor

sweety616

What are the steps to Connect laptop to a PLC-5/SLC or a Control Logix processor on the floor for troubleshooting. I know I need to set-up a driver on RS Linx but i am not sure of the procedure

Sweety

Exactly which PLC types are you talking about (type numbers) ?
For the ControlLogix, are there any communication cards in addition to the CPU ?
What hardware do you have in the PC for accessing the PLCs ?

what you need is just to configure the appropriate driver on RSlinx regarding the available communication port on your PLC(or the comm network of the whole architecture).

let's assume you need to configure a serial comm with a controllogix.
1/connect RS232 SERIAL CABLE on your laptop and the Processor module serial port.
2/open RSLINX go to communications/configure drivers/
then select RS232 from available driver types/add new/ok
select com1 then auto configure
if you get "auto config done succefully "it means everything is ok /ok
3/communications/RSWHO then click on the plus button (ab_df1).

after this you should be able to view your PLC inside RSLINX window,if it's ok that means that communication have been established.

after that you'll have to use RSLOGIX5000/500/5 to go inside the programm for maintenance.
good luck