Cable numbering

Chewy1980

Hi guys,
First post from a relatively new programmer. I am building a control system for a client and they have no specific wire numbering request. Is it best practice to use the rack and slot numbers as the cable designation?
I would normally use page, column, sequence to number wires etc.
just wondering if there is a standard or best practice? I’m in Australia.
Cheers chewy1980

Just whatever you do try and keep it the same, once your customer learns your method then its will be good for them but if you change it makes it a pain

We bought several machines from one builder and on the 3rd they changed the color code o_O

I have seen some rather elaborate methods to identify/lable wires and devices that seem very useful, until something gets changed or added in the program and/or the schematic.
Then nothing matches. Choose a system that can work with future expansions.

1 through 9001. Look at the drawing if you want to know what the wire does.

This is what we do.
200 group Plc inputs
300 group PLC outputs
400 group analog in etc....
Page one the designations and last number used.

this works for most of our jobs
It massaged for jobs with a lot of OI

there are a thousand ways to number just keep it consistent.
do not get to fancy, nothing worse than long wire number (in my opinion)

Hey thank you everyone for your input. Awesome platform to learn. I have come up with a basic wire management system that our customer has approved so we have a place to start.

Thanks again guys much appreciated.

Chewy

Just whatever you do try and keep it the same, once your customer learns your method then its will be good for them but if you change it makes it a pain

We bought several machines from one builder and on the 3rd they changed the color code o_O

+1 for this from the Bubba side of things. As long as it is consistent, I'll figure out what you are up to.

Bubba.