Re-name a program

f16bmathis

I'm working on a 5000 project that is connected to two panel views and the PLC name is just a number. I want to change it to read something like "Blend_Cell_4". I'm pretty sure it is not connected to anything else, looking at the program.

Would this mess up anything?

I also want to use an unused program under the main program, but re-name the program "chopper" to "Post_Sifter" and of course edit the logic the same way.

Anything I need to worry about?

I'm working on a 5000 project that is connected to two panel views and the PLC name is just a number. I want to change it to read something like "Blend_Cell_4". I'm pretty sure it is not connected to anything else, looking at the program.

Would this mess up anything?

I also want to use an unused program under the main program, but re-name the program "chopper" to "Post_Sifter" and of course edit the logic the same way.

Anything I need to worry about?

Assuming you're using a Controllogix or Compactlogix and a Panelview with FactoryTalk View ME. I don't have FTView open right now but from what I remember, be careful because doing these things can cause issues.

The PLC name/Controller name is referenced in the FTView ME project. Should be referenced in the Communications set up and also in the Tag database.

Renaming a Program may be an issue if there are Program Tags used, that are referenced in the FTView ME Tag database. Renaming a Routine should be Ok, just make sure that anytime you have a JSR instruction it references the correct routine.

I guess I'll rename things and if it doesn't work out I can always download the original program. It shouldn't be that difficult. Small program, not connected to Ethernet, and half of it isn't even used, which I plan to delete or reuse when I add a motor starter.

Thanks!

If the RSLinx Enterprise connection in the ME runtime was done correctly, there should be a shortcut that just points to the communication path. The name of the project in the controller shouldn't matter, all references to it should be using the RSLinx Enterprise shortcut.

But there's probably ways that the runtime could reference the project name, but I can't think of anything that's commonly used. At least, nothing that I've ever used. I rename project all the time and it doesn't bother my runtime connection.

But yeah, be careful naming programs, that will mess up program tags.

$