Fiber cable product suggestion for short run.

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I have several applications where a short run of fiber would be nice, say, under a 100 feet.

Sure, I can custom order a long "patch" cable but they seem fragile. I'm sure there are good products out there now that doesn't require all the polishing, etc, to terminate but I'm not sure what search term to use.

suggestions?

So I have several applications where a short run of fiber would be nice, say, under a 100 feet.

Sure, I can custom order a long "patch" cable but they seem fragile. I'm sure there are good products out there now that doesn't require all the polishing, etc, to terminate but I'm not sure what search term to use.

suggestions?

Corning UniCam connectors don't require glue or polishing.

UniCam, also 3M CrimpLok, probably others. Before you decide, look into each methods "pull-out force" or "withdrawl force"and select depending on your application. You dont want something that's going to fall apart on you from a gentle tug. Also do some research on how well each option cuts a clean end. There are lots of reviews regarding bad ends using the same cutting tool over time, but that might not be an issue if you plan on making just a few cables.

from UniCam:

"The UniCam Connector is designed to withstand two types of withdrawal force depending upon the termination style. When installed upon 900 µm tight-buffered fiber or 900 µm tubing, the UniCam Connector is designed to withstand no more than 0.5 lbs of pull-out force. When the UniCam Connector is installed on jacketed cable containing aramid yarn, which acts as strength member, the pull-out force shall not exceed 10 lbs."

If you ever get a chance to visit the Corning Museum of Glass in NY, they have some interesting things there, and a good presentation on fiber for communications. I had a lot of fun!

I have used the UniCam stuff and assembly is easy.
The tools are pricey. So if you need just a few cables getting them custom made may be the way to go.