Function block online edits

Vager

Hello everyone,

I need to make some changes to a function block routine and am wondering what can be done during an online edit. Does function block programming have the same limitations as ladder? This question pertains to RSlogix5000 software.

Thanks

You can edit, test, compile an FBD like a ladder. What limitations are you referring to? The only thing I might caution is paying attention to execution order, you could potentially throw something off depending on how the blocks are arranged.

Thanks for the info! As far as limitations I was referring to editing alias tags in ladder logic and I assume the same applies to function block.

Thanks for the info! As far as limitations I was referring to editing alias tags in ladder logic and I assume the same applies to function block.

You are correct. That limitation is why I insist aliases only reference things like print numbers. Aliasing a digital input as StartButton will eventually bite you in the nether regions.

There's one other limitation that you should be aware of:

The page size can only be changed off-line, not online. Give yourself plenty of extra space when you create your FBDs, or you'll have wires crossing every whichway and blocks overlapping when you invariable add more blocks to the logic.

It'll still work, but it won't be easy to read.

There's one other limitation that you should be aware of:

The page size can only be changed off-line, not online. Give yourself plenty of extra space when you create your FBDs, or you'll have wires crossing every whichway and blocks overlapping when you invariable add more blocks to the logic.

It'll still work, but it won't be easy to read.

As of version 31 Studio5000 FBD defaults to 11x17. That's how I always set mine in advance, now it's done for you.