Crimson 3.0 learner

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I emailed this same request to Red Lion support but I thought I would post it here also since several of you use Crimson 3.0

I am in the process of working my way through learning the Crimson 3.0 software. I am doing a project for a G306. I have tried to make use of all the resources I have found so far, ie the user manual, knowledgebase, and a video I found on youtube. However I’m still having some issues/questions. I will mention a couple in this request. I am attaching 2 pictures that show examples.

First is in regards to creating a multi-state indicator that has 5 states. My primary experience in HMI programming has been with Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View. FTV has an object called “multi-state indicator” so it’s obvious what to chose. I have figured out that C3.0 uses formats that can be applied to various objects. So after some experimenting I was able to add a multistate format to a primitive. It does work, however I would like to be able to have the entire object change color with each state and not just the text. Is this possible?

The second item is in regards to a numeric display. I like that you can use format units after the value. However when I tried to use the unit µS the word +BIG appears in the display. The odd thing is that this unit appears just fine in a numeric entry as you can see in the setpoints picture. Any way to fix this in the numeric display?

G3 screen 1.JPG G3 screen 3.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, so I just figured out one of my issues. +BIG means I needed to add another digit before the decimal point. Slowly but surely.....:unsure:

rta53 said:
...I would like to be able to have the entire object change color with each state and not just the text. Is this possible?

Yes, but I think it depends on which primitive you are using.

In most cases where I want multiple color formats, I set this up in the tag itself, then you can choose (on the object) the TagFore or TagBack property for the color information.

I'll attach an example you can emulate and pick apart with 5 states each getting its color info from Tag1.

Yes, but I think it depends on which primitive you are using.

In most cases where I want multiple color formats, I set this up in the tag itself, then you can choose (on the object) the TagFore or TagBack property for the color information.

I think this is where I was getting confused. Because I initially set up the tag with the different states and then I ended up repeating the same settings in the primitive. It makes more sense now.

I do the same as Okie but with a twist (hey if you ain't pushing it where is the fun)

What I do is setup my Tag colors for my multistate tag. The next thing I do is create another tag that connected to the first tag (told you it was weird). This tag is basically the same as the first and whatever value the first tag has the second does as well. On the second Tag I then create another color pair in its color format.

Now I have 4 colors to make my button (primitive) pretty. In my primitive I select Tag Fore or Tag Back for the different parts of the primitive and now I have indicators that change text colors, back panel colors and edge colors based on my 2 tags.

I have attached an example. It is for a G310 So you will have to copy and paste into yours.

Thanks Okie, that was just what I needed. My next task is to set up alarms. Again, this is an area where FTV is more "scripted". I did load an alarm viewer page and tested it and that does work. All my alarms are discrete type. The way we do our alarms is we have an alarm acknowledge or alarm silence, and then we have an alarm reset. So when we get an alarm, an alarm light flashes and a horn sounds. When the operator presses "Alarm Acknowledge" the horn stops and the light becomes solid. If the alarm condition is no longer active the operator presses "Alarm Reset". This turns the light off and resets the alarm. The alarm viewer page does have a mute and accept button. I wonder if it's possible to map these buttons to tags in the plc? We also typically do an alarm banner that pops up when a new alarm occurs. Is there something like this in Crimson?

Clay, I just saw your post. I will check it out. Thanks