L33ERM V24.11 Not Retaining String Values

codedRed

I have an L33ERM Compact PLC that every time I go offline from it, I lose all my string values.. so if I need to make a change (IE adding an array to a tag), I lose all those string values.. and not just for the tags I edit but all the STRING type tags.

When you go offline are you uploading and saving the changes or just going offline?

When online you are changing the values in the PLC.

When you go offline you can no longer see current values, so it shows you the values stored in the offline file you have saved. If you didn't save those values while online, they will be the values held the last time you did.

The PLC is retaining its values just fine, you have just not bothered to update your local copy.

Okay, this makes sense. Dumb question I guess, but thank you. I was going offline.. then downloading back to the controller and had to reset all those values.. next time I'll just save an online copy and backup the values and then go offline. Thanks guys.

Okay, this makes sense. Dumb question I guess, but thank you. I was going offline.. then downloading back to the controller and had to reset all those values.. next time I'll just save an online copy and backup the values and then go offline. Thanks guys.

This is a hard lesson that we've all learned. I don't know how many times our new guys would go download a program to a machine being tested in our shop, then the test guy would say "hey, all of the recipes we tested disappeared".

When you're online, the tag values you are seeing are in the PLC. They are not in your ACD file until you save. There are workflows and good practices to deal with this. The best way is to only make changes online if at all possible. And if you must download, stop the machine, save, make changes, download, restart the machine. Be sure your copy has the latest values before downloading.

Are you downloading everytime you go online? If so figure out why who is changing the program

Are you downloading everytime you go online? If so figure out why who is changing the program

No I was not. I was making changes online (adding Strings to make a month/day/shift register for reject counts).. but didn't save to my local hard drive since. Then took my machine offline because I wanted to add an array to a tag that I had created (when I was online).. so went offline without saving the tag values.. and after adding dimensions to my tags downloaded back to the machine and all my strings were empty again. My local copy didn't even have the STRING type tags because I never saved when I was online.

OK I just wanted to make sure you weren't downloading everytime. I've seen a few folk that are less experienced in 5000 do this. One guy had 10+ years of programming under his belt.