Cable for Micrologix controller to AD Sureservo

A nitpick: the MicroLogix 1200 controller has only an RS-232 port. The "R" versions have a second RS-232 port.

The round Mini-Din8 style Channel 0 serial port on the MicroLogix 1000, 1200, and 1500 controllers has +24V on Pin 1 that can power up a handheld or network interface. You want to be very careful with any home-made cables to avoid connecting +24V to something that can't tolerate it.

That's much more important than a nitpick! Thank you for bring your vast expertise to this topic. I had no idea the 1200 port was 232 only.

A nitpick: the MicroLogix 1200 controller has only an RS-232 port. The "R" versions have a second RS-232 port.

The round Mini-Din8 style Channel 0 serial port on the MicroLogix 1000, 1200, and 1500 controllers has +24V on Pin 1 that can power up a handheld or network interface. You want to be very careful with any home-made cables to avoid connecting +24V to something that can't tolerate it.

The MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 traded that +24V accessory power pin for RS-485 data signals on Pins 1 and 8, allowing them to make a non-isolated RS-485 connection.

If I had to prototype this connection, I would use a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable, a screw-to-DB9 adapter, and the SureServo cable together.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into the DB9 adapter and follow back up to verify the wiring.

Also, what's everyone's experience with non AB 1761-CBL-PMO2 cables? There are several out there, and I have one that I use for programming. I will need to order another one for this, and was wondering if it's necessary to get the AB cable for communication?

Also, what's everyone's experience with non AB 1761-CBL-PMO2 cables? There are several out there, and I have one that I use for programming. I will need to order another one for this, and was wondering if it's necessary to get the AB cable for communication?

www.plccables.com (one of this forum's members runs this business, and you will find only positive recommendations).

I suspect you could also go direct from the SureServo/1394connector pigtail to the 8-pin mini-DIN on the 1200. Finding a mini-DIN male connector without the alignment detentes in the shell may be tricky; I was able to flatten them out with needlenosers, but I also have DB-shel tools and supplies; even so the PM02 would have been much simpler if I had known about PLCcables.com at the time.

Also, regarding your previous post requesting confirmation on your proposed connections, I suspect that you want Rx on one end to connect to Tx on the other: both appear to be DTE, not one DTE and one DCE; see the images below for the sureServo; I know the 8-pin mini-DIN on the 1200 is DTE, but to be fair I am not as sure about the -PM02's DB-9. because the AB manuals only ever show it connected to an -AIC+ opto-isolator.
xxx.png

yyy.png

www.plccables.com (one of this forum's members runs this business, and you will find only positive recommendations).

I suspect you could also go direct from the SureServo/1394connector pigtail to the 8-pin mini-DIN on the 1200. Finding a mini-DIN male connector without the alignment detentes in the shell may be tricky; I was able to flatten them out with needlenosers, but I also have DB-shel tools and supplies; even so the PM02 would have been much simpler if I had known about PLCcables.com at the time.

Also, regarding your previous post requesting confirmation on your proposed connections, I suspect that you want Rx on one end to connect to Tx on the other: both appear to be DTE, not one DTE and one DCE; see the images below for the sureServo; I know the 8-pin mini-DIN on the 1200 is DTE, but to be fair I am not as sure about the -PM02's DB-9. because the AB manuals only ever show it connected to an -AIC+ opto-isolator.

Appreciate the help. I did find PLCcables, and will most likely order through them.

Regarding the pins...I see what you're saying RX>TX. I will fix this.

What about using the Sureservo cable SVC-PCCFG-CBL which has a Female 9 pin end. Could I just get an adapter like this; https://www.mcmaster.com/7171K44/ and connect it between the servo and AB cables since they are both 9 pin females?

Sureservo 9pin.JPG

Appreciate the help. I did find PLCcables, and will most likely order through them.

Regarding the pins...I see what you're saying RX>TX. I will fix this.

What about using the Sureservo cable SVC-PCCFG-CBL which has a Female 9 pin end. Could I just get an adapter like this; https://www.mcmaster.com/7171K44/ and connect it between the servo and AB cables since they are both 9 pin females?

^ Disregard, I answered it, pins don't match won't work.

I've got all the components, and noticed that the sure servo cable has a Black wire labeled SHELL, DRAIN+BRAID. Does this just get connected to the SHL pin that is on my DB9 adapter?

I used this setup on an ML1400 for a Sure servo Modbus, not sure if its compatible with 1200.