Linear AB Servo limits with Kinetix 5500

jtautomation

Hello I'm using a Linear AB Servo limits with Kinetix 5500.
We are adding 3 sensors, one is for home position which gets wired to digital input 1 on the kinetix drive. The other two are for over travel limits (Retracted /Extended), where do these two get wired to? Just a regular input or back to the drive? Do I need these two or cant i just use the soft travel limits (mm) in the axis properties?

I am new to the plctalk group and appreciate any feedback, and hope to help whenever I can, thank you

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum community !

For exposition: the Kinetix 5500 has only two configurable digital inputs on the "IOD" connector, which are typically used for Home and/or as high-speed Registration inputs.

Since version 3 firmware/Studio 5000 v26, you have also been able to configure those inputs for Overtravel (Positive or Negative). But with only two inputs available, you can't connect Home, OT+, and OT- to the IOD connector.

Overtravel switches are less necessary on many modern systems that have absolute encoders and "soft overtravel" features. But many systems and system designers still require them, so it has led to a few inventive solutions.

One method is to use a single sensor as both the Home and one Overtravel switch, using logic to swap the assignment back and forth. RA Knowledgebase Article 765039 (Access Level: TechConnect)

Another is to use general purpose I/O on the PLC as the Overtravel switches and carefully control the servo axis with them. Knowledgebase Article 578741 (Access Level: TechConnect) describes that method and includes sample logic.