No rotation sensor

kalabdel

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for something simple and cheap to detect no-rotation of shafts. I'm thinking something with N/O or N/C output and a adjustable time setting that after a preset time it the output would change. I would love to find something specifically designed for that purpose and have some way of attaching to shafts but I would also consider sensors (inductive or magnetic) with built-in delay of a sort.

Anything commercially available or do I need to make my own?

Edit: Something along this line.

Thanks
Kal

Last edited:
https://phareselectronics.com/zero-.../zero-speed-switch-sensor-phares-model-zs09p/

There are many mechanical zero speed switches on the market, but they are usually more complicated to install, so if by simple, you mean operation and installation, then go for the electronic variety.

Google the term "zero speed switch" to find a good assortment.

EDIT: I sat here watching the Thunder game and forgot to hit the reply button... Meanwhile danw posted the same thing...

The electronic zero-speed-switches are great - until...

A maintenance technician thinks it is an inductive proxy switch that has failed since it's not on when a gear tooth is in front of it, and replaces it with an inductive prox. Then the machine faults because it is 'moving' when it is not.

And, of course, it involved a night-time drive to get there after being woken from a well deserved sleep.

I worked with the Pepperl and Fuchs ones for early 10 Years.

These were fed into a standard PLC system, only thing that ever went wrong was the units failed every now and then.

Regards

Daniel

The electronic zero-speed-switches are great - until...

A maintenance technician thinks it is an inductive proxy switch that has failed since it's not on when a gear tooth is in front of it, and replaces it with an inductive prox. Then the machine faults because it is 'moving' when it is not.

And, of course, it involved a night-time drive to get there after being woken from a well deserved sleep.

Been there, done that, annoying isn't it. Fixed future installs with a lamacoid tag mounted nearby and wire-wrapped to the sensor's cord.

If you are looking to use these outside of a PLC, then Milltronics is a good choice. Expensive, but have a lot of adjustments for time etc..and can be wired directly into a Motor control circuit.
For PLC's I just use a prox switch with logic in the PLC.

then Milltronics is a good choice.
It's now the Siemens WM100. Heads up that the WM100 is very, very heavy duty from the era when the 'mill' in Milltronics referred to mining rock milling operations. And consequently it's a fairly good physical size, robust unit.

Thanks everyone.
Ken Moore, they will be used without a PLC. I need to install and wire them to proprietary control boards that I have no way of plugging into to add or modify the program and to machines that have panels with simple contactors and relays. Very simple setups non-critical processes.

Kal

+1 for those. I have used them in some pretty harsh environments, and they hold up well.

"The electronic zero-speed-switches are great - until...

A maintenance technician thinks it is an inductive proxy switch that has failed since it's not on when a gear tooth is in front of it, and replaces it with an inductive prox. Then the machine faults because it is 'moving' when it is not."

On behalf of all us overnight Bubbas, I apologize. That's not one you should get a phone call over. :confused:

Bubba.