Omron Drive

Berni

The Omron 3G3MV devicenet drive, it is a better choice than Allen Bradley buletin 160 on devicenet????

Have you already work with omron drive?

I have many (15) AB devicenet drive and it works fine. But AB drive on dnet is expensive.

With omron, could have problem to communicate with rsnetworks?
The EDS file are up to date?

My Opinion-

If you are using an AB devicenet scanner, then the easiest to get up and running, would be the 160.
As in most cases mixing vendors for something like this; small "complications" will come up. I'm sure any problems that do show up with the Omron drive will be overcome-able, but there's bound to be something.

NEVER forget that AB developed DeviceNet

Its not owned by AB though...its an open CAN architecture.

Its hard for me to believe that an AB 160 drive could be considered expensive. It may cost a little more than other brands but..EXPENSIVE?

If the system(s) is/are established then why change it? If what you have works well then use what will work well with it. The ease of use and lack of downtime/troubleshooting etc should keep the costs down.

Ron. I think you speak from recent experience.

Another thing I have found with some brands of drives (Not AB) that have an aftermarket dnet card is that the drive was never originally designed with the intent that someone could connect and message out every parameter. Therefore the information parameters are limited.
There might be 1000 plus parameters but they are write parameters to setup the drive. Useful info like drive temp, actual value of an analog input etc is not available, not because the guy who wrote the EDS file for DNet was ****, but because when the original drive was designed no-one ever thought you would be easily able to extract these items. Just my thoughts. Regards Alan Case

I cannot see you having much of a problem. Omron and AB are probably the two greatest promoters of Device Net. Omron and AB had technology and product development agreements in place, although I hear that has changed recently.
I have used AB and Omron devices on the same network before without a problem. Also used Pepperl & Fuchs Device Net absolute encoders on Omron PLCs without a hitch.
The biggest issue you could possibly have would be explicit messaging. It is a bit messy to set up but once working it is very good.
Omron EDS files are available for download at www.odva.org and also at http://oeiweb.omron.com/. That one is the Omron website for North America. All sorts of good stuff there including a very extensive documantation library.
If Device Net is implemented properly by the manufacturer it generally works well. You can check all devices that have been tested for compliance at the ODVA website listed above.
beerchug

93lt1 said:
I hope you don't take what I said as Devicenet is Allen Bradley...

I have 'saving' experince with non a-b DeviceNet master-card for PC.
PC-card 'firmware' didn't support node-addressing by software, so I had to buy AB's KFD for Banner photocell and Light-curtain addressing from 63 to some else.
Secondly, photocell was COS-type. That PC-card didn't support COS, so after 2-weeks negotiation with manuf. they sent 3'rd firmware for that PC-Card. They build COS support but not soft-addressing.
Finally, one photocell, one lightcurtain and one abs-encoder are in the DNet after one month. So I saved 200$ in one month, but only KFD costs much more!

As rsdoran told the costs, they didn't came down in my case !