PC communication interface Siemens

dbozic

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

Is it possible for one PC to communicate with two separate s7-300 systems (one with Profibus and one with ETHERNET)?
I know you must put PG/PC interface, but is it possible to have different interfaces in one PC?
I need to connect the WinCC v7 on the main PC to both separate systems.

You would need a profibus card in the pc to be able to talk to the profibus plc.
But the better way is to put an ethernet CP (343-1 lean) in the profibus plc.
Talking to 2 two ethernet plc's in wincc is easy.

You would need a profibus card in the pc to be able to talk to the profibus plc.
But the better way is to put an ethernet CP (343-1 lean) in the profibus plc.
Talking to 2 two ethernet plc's in wincc is easy.

Thank you for the quick reply. The PC is already connected to the PROFIBUS system over profibus card with one system.
I need to connect the second system which is also profibus to the PC but I cant connect to existing profibus network if Im right because i would need DP/DP coupler.
I changed the PLC in second system for the CPU with integrated PN port but now I am not sure if two communications protocols can go to one pc?

I need to connect the second system which is also profibus to the PC but I cant connect to existing profibus network if Im right because i would need DP/DP coupler.

A DP/DP coupler will not help, as this acts as Profibus slave on both sides. WinCC can communicate only to Profibus masters. If you connect both PLCs as master to the same Profibus network as the WinCC PC, then this should work.

But you can use only one connection using the S7online setting. For example, you can use S7online for Profibus, and for TCP/IP you set in the WinCC system parameters the correct network card you want wo use for this connection.

The basic WinCC package includes a S7 Softnet Lean license, with this you can use up to 8 connections.

A DP/DP coupler will not help, as this acts as Profibus slave on both sides. WinCC can communicate only to Profibus masters. If you connect both PLCs as master to the same Profibus network as the WinCC PC, then this should work.

But you can use only one connection using the S7online setting. For example, you can use S7online for Profibus, and for TCP/IP you set in the WinCC system parameters the correct network card you want wo use for this connection.

The basic WinCC package includes a S7 Softnet Lean license, with this you can use up to 8 connections.

Thank you for your help. So it is possible to have multiple communication interfaces if I understand correctly? I have been confused as when you connect you need to set PG/PC interface as you said to S7Online. What is the difference between communications with S7Online and TCP/IP in Wincc? Can both connections be active in the same time and fetch data from the PLC systems?
Maybe the difference is that S7Online lets you connect to the PLC and upload/download configuration while the TCP/IP and the rest comms. only for fetching data and communicating?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I am new in this area and every help I can get is good!

PS. So the fetching the tags from both system should work even if the PG/PC interface is set only to S7Online -> PROFIBUS and in WinCC v7 i have defined two S7 Protocol Suits (1 profibus and the other is TCP/IP for the second system which is not defined as PG/PC interface)? I just define the IP address of the second PLC in the settings and make sure the PC IP address is compatible? Please confirm as this is what I have understand.

Last edited:
I don't know if there is an advantage if you are using S7online instead of the direct interface. But there are connections you can do only with S7online, such as connecting to a S7-Soft PLC (WinLC) which is running on the same machine as WinCC is running. Then you have to setup S7online to PC (internal).

If you want to use Ethernet and Profibus, then you need to add the two connections using the appropriate driver from the S7 protocol suite. In system parameters you select the correct interface. For Ethernet this should be something like "TCP/IP -> ..." (don't select the one with "Auto" in it), and for Profibus choose the communication processor (CP...).

The Profibus communication processor has to be configured with baudrate and address outside WinCC. Or you can configure the PC station in Step7, and download this into the PC or import the xdb file in the Station Configuration Editor on the WinCC machine. There are many documents and FAQ on the Siemens website of how to setup a PC station.