Two Wires in the Same hole

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Morning All

Quick question.

Building a 250 amp panel, below disconnect is a 335 amp 3 in 6 out distribution block.

I have ten starter/overloads. Is it in code to run two (L1,L2,L3) from one hole to 2 starters.

Thank you for your time.

Take a look at the packaging that the distribution block came in. It will tell you allowable wire sizes and quantities.

I'm about 98% sure it's going to be "no".

You would most likely be better off to buy the feeder buss accessory, if available, to link the tops of your starters together and reduce the amount of wires to the dist. block.

The Cooper Industries (Bussman) data sheet says 1 or 2 wires per terminal depending on wire size. I doubt that the other manufacturers would be any different.

http://www.marathonsp.com/pdf/datasheets/143X553.pdf

Had to figure out what B,C,D,I meant, but according to the PDF (2) # 10 MTW nickle coated copper conductors is allowable per hole.

I was looking more towards the electrical code, but the PDF infers that two wires in one hole is an acceptable practice, then it can also be inferred that it is with in code.

Thank you all for your time and attention.

Have a great day

Take a look at the packaging that the distribution block came in. It will tell you allowable wire sizes and quantities.

I'm about 98% sure it's going to be "no".

You would most likely be better off to buy the feeder buss accessory, if available, to link the tops of your starters together and reduce the amount of wires to the dist. block.

This is the best answer. You can ONLY do it if the manufacturer of the block has SPECIFICALLY listed the block for accepting more than one conductor per terminal hole. Only that specific manufacturer can tell you this and that information will be on their packaging, a sticker on the side of it, or a data sheet. If it does not SPECIFICALLY state that it is listed for that, then you cannot.