Send a string from Allen Bradley to ABB robot

backendcode

Hello Everyone,

I want to send a string from AB PLC to ABB robot control. I can send integers from PLC to abb robot using group input but not sure how can I send a string with a handshake.

Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you again,

Last edited:
Use an array of group inputs if you have enough free. Are you using ethernet/ip? Fanuc allows explicit messages in addition to cyclic, but I can't recall if abb supports it.

Use an array of group inputs if you have enough free. Are you using ethernet/ip? Fanuc allows explicit messages in addition to cyclic, but I can't recall if abb supports it.

Thank you jstolaruk,

I was thinking about it but then if I need to send 10 character string which is 10 bytes so I might be ended up using 80 bits point on I/O card in ABB controller which is a lot.

Yes, I am using ethernet/IP.

I might try to post the same question at robot forum which you told me last time.

I was expecting some PLC programmer might use to send strings with a handshake between PLC and ABB Robot controller.

Thank again for the help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you shouldn't have to use physical I/O when using Ethernet/IP?

Do you also have Robot Studio, or are you using the FlexPendant?