Tracking Boxes on a conveyor

illibilli

This is probably a very often asked question, so my sincere apology in advance.

I am an mechanical engineer working in a small company, I mostly do machine design and FEA on daily basis. Every once in a while I get to play around with different systems, and I really enjoy learning and adding to my own knowledge.

But I´m completely stuck right now.

We have boxes coming in on a conveyor, depending on the content in each box it is pushed onto one of four lanes with a pneumatic pusher.

The content in the boxes are recognized with a vision system that I made and sends a signal to the existing AB Micro850 glorified relay.

There is a diffuse sensor before each of the four lanes that triggers the pushers.

I have spent all day trying to find information on similar solutions. The simple bool logic is something that I grasp very well. But when the methods used revolve around Bit Shifts and Stacks.

I am just not understanding on how to make this system work. Does any of you know about a good available source regarding this subject.

the software that I´m using is Connected Components Workbench

Cheers from the slow engineer