Beckhoff tutorials & training resources

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We're migrating to the Beckhoff/TwinCAT 3 platform and I wondered if anyone has any links to tutorials or training resources online. The only one I've been able to find is at www.contactandcoil.com. It is pretty good though.

Beckhoff does their own training seminars, but also have several guides and manuals on the infosys site and FTP. A lot of it is not exactly easy reading and quick guides, but usually pretty thorough.

DMC have some good blog-posts as well:
https://www.dmcinfo.com/latest-thin...tegoryview/categoryid/60/beckhoff-and-twincat

If you are a bunch of new users who need training, Beckhoff tend to have decent offers for training workshops. On this side of the sea anyway.

Migrating from what? TwinCat 2?

2 and 3 are different beasts in that 3 is built on top of a custom version of Visual Studio.

In case you aren't aware, you don't need specific Beckhoff hardware to run it. You can run your programming station as the PLC environment, and then, for example, buy an ethercat slave IO device for testing. Just check your NIC is ethercat compatible.

The contactandcoil tutorial is awesome, much better than anything officially released by Beckhoff in my opinion. I refer back to it quite often, just the other day in fact when I was getting up to speed on TwinSAFE.

Beckhoff has long been criticized for its sparse documentation, but I have to admit it's getting better. Their "infosys" is a bit clunky but pretty comprehensive... the best way to search it is to just use Google. I wish Beckhoff had their own user forum. The Linkedin group that Mara posted is probably the largest collection of users in one place but the interface is awful and it seems like unless you're a Linkedin super user you need moderator approval to post anything.

Here are a few more links that have helped me out:

https://translate.google.com/transl...://gotwincat.blogspot.com/&edit-text=&act=url

https://translate.google.com/transl...fanhenneken.wordpress.com/&edit-text=&act=url

(The first is Russian and the second German so I keep the Google Translate links bookmarked.)