Printing from a SLC 5/05

mjisaacs

I am in the middle of a project, and the proverbial kink just got thrown in on me. I am replacing an existing weight batching system with a PLC and a weighing module for the slc series. All seems ok, but I just was just informed that the H**IC is expecting the system to print batch sheets that are at least similar to the ones that the old velcon system printed out, using a serial line from the system to a PC and printer. The system has already been torn out, so I can't turn back. But i also can't commission my system until I can print. I have done a lot of things with a SLC, but printing is not one of them. I know you don't need all the details, but for your info, I am running a 7 slot rack, a hardy WS card (for weight), a 32 point DC in, a 32 point DC out, a 2 in 2 out analog v card (to control drive speeds), and the MAC DADDY of all SLC's, the 1747-L553 processor. I am using a 2711-B5A20 Panelview, and an industrial hub to tie it all together with ethernet. I am not using the com port on the PV or the processor. Any help or suggestions with how to print would be greatly appreciated.

use SLC serial port connect to the serial printer using ascii inst sen the command the command to the printer to print also you can use the Basic to do so

panelview serial port won't support the printer interface

mjisaacs said:
I am in the middle of a project, and the proverbial kink just got thrown in on me. I am replacing an existing weight batching system with a PLC and a weighing module for the slc series. All seems ok, but I just was just informed that the H**IC is expecting the system to print batch sheets that are at least similar to the ones that the old velcon system printed out, using a serial line from the system to a PC and printer. The system has already been torn out, so I can't turn back. But i also can't commission my system until I can print. I have done a lot of things with a SLC, but printing is not one of them. I know you don't need all the details, but for your info, I am running a 7 slot rack, a hardy WS card (for weight), a 32 point DC in, a 32 point DC out, a 2 in 2 out analog v card (to control drive speeds), and the MAC DADDY of all SLC's, the 1747-L553 processor. I am using a 2711-B5A20 Panelview, and an industrial hub to tie it all together with ethernet. I am not using the com port on the PV or the processor. Any help or suggestions with how to print would be greatly appreciated.

Using the serial port to print reports will be a real pain. Serial port printouts are best for audit trails.
You need a BASIC module. Using that, you easily format reports for printing.

Ian

You have a PC connected, with the printer at the PC?

Sounds like Excel and OPC are going to be your friend.

I'd store the report data in the PLC, and retrieve it to a spreadsheet with the PC.

New information has come to light this morning. I am looking to go "live" next Tuesday or (at the latest) Wednesday. Using sheet fed paper (std laser printer), and I have not discounted using the existing computer. Looks like they are using some VB code and a database. The ops are allowed to go back and reprint, if needed. They also have to maintain a database of the batches (for ISO / QS compliance), (this is all stuff I've discovered this morning), and the job will just go a lot smoother if I can reuse the old external hardware. With that being said, it looks like some kind of proprietary database, or one I've never seen, at least. Since the old hardware has been taken down (and I don't want to mess with trying to get it back up), how do you suggest I approach finding out how the data needs to be formatted? I have an old batch sheet, but it only shows me the ingredients in that run, not the serial data format I need from the PLC. Any suggestions?