GE Fanuc Software "Dongle"

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
Currently in "Panic Mode".

Need an answer before 7:00am on 6/29/05.

Does anyone know of any current (Bought in Spring of 2005) GE programming software that requires a programming "Dongle".

Prospective customer said "don't forget to bring your dongle, we don't have one with our software".

This has me stumped, since I've never had one. Perhaps there has been one on the customer computers that I've used the "fancy" software. Definitely not on my trusty LogicMaster or old VersaPro!

I don't think we had one on our Cimplicity, but I never was in the back of the computer loooking for it. It was a factory (GE plant) disc, and may not have been quite the same as you would get from a distributor. The lugable programmer had "who knows what" software, but then again, it was "maintained" by a factory guy.

Thanks a heap guys. If I need one, it will be an exciting hour between 7:00 and 8:00!

best regards.....casey

Out of curiousity, what software packages still use "dongles"

Last edited:
GE Fanuc now offers a version of Machine Edition where the license resides on a USB stick instead of on the hard drive. Makes it easier to move the license from one computer to another. This is probably what your client is referring to. Even if you don't have it available, I believe you can still run ME for four days without licensing it.

Maybe Russ B. will see this thread before your deadline and can comment on whether or not there are any 'gotchas' involved in using that version of ME. I'm only a former employee of a GE Fanuc distributor. He's still on the payroll of one, so he has access to more current information than I.

Agree...

rsdoran said:
Casey there probably refering to the SNP adapter.
The GE FIX used hardware keys they called "dongles", I would guess they are refering to a hardware license of some kind...

Or bring your laptop and don't worry what they have or don't have...

Last edited:
GE FIX used to be Intellution, I have an old dongle for that but doubt it would work on the newer versions. I didnt think about that or know about the USB either.

Steve is right about Proficy ME having an 'optional' USB key, that could be called a dongle.
If you run into any problems you have two options, re-install the software for another four days of use (I think this still works but it will not eventually) or call 800.GEFanuc and request a 30 day trial. If you have not done this yet there should be no objections.
One nice thing about GE Fanuc is that they are willing to work with and help any customer who asks.

OK I plead ignorant.

Please describe a dongle what it does etc. Is this specific to GE or is it a common term to many brands of PLCs??

Uh for that matter is this term politically correct?

Thanks for help

Dan Bentler

Dan,
I use them dangles, but on PC controlled machines, not on PLCs.
After 12 years of 'growing' this piece of software, I will not allow duplication of our efforts!!!

Marx.com is the dongle company I/we use

Rod

RussB said:
One nice thing about GE Fanuc is that they are willing to work with and help any customer who asks.

They have always been super, as far as I am concerned.

So, as far as the Dongle...

It may be the SNP adapter. That I have. Customer has generally used AB, and could be confused about it.

The USB key makes more sense.
Being a larger 9030 project, Proficy makes sense, as opposed to old Cimplicity laying around. With "fresh" software, the "CD" was probably left at the local shop, and the paperwork package (with key) sent to the installation site.

I should have remembered the four day thing, I've had to use it in the past.

So, I am a little more relaxed now.

Back in the dark ages at the tire plant, I had three file cabinet drawers full of cables, adapters, and dongles. Some were actually marked, so that you didn't have to guess. I think the company policy was that the had to have at least 2 of every plc ever made. Lots of everything. One engineer liked AutoMax, so dozens of them, large numbers of PLC2's, several hundred GE 9030's, dozens of Sharks and D-100's, 2 OPTO 22's, 2 Sixnets, 2 of this and that.....

My favorite at the time was Micro 90's I put in several dozen of them.
I really miss the "unlimited budget".

So, Thanks For The Information!

best regards.....casey

Last edited:
Reloaded the software, and all went well! It was Proficy.

This panel shop owns NO paid for software.

they asked me if the could look through my hard drive for anything that they didn't have.

I told them I left my dongle at home.

I told them about Entertron's free software and they got excited. Can't wait for them to try to program some other brand of PLC with it!

Glad I don't have to go back there, again!

best regards.....casey

My county is one of the most drought stricken in the country.

ALL resources are going to keep the Illinois River flowing past "the Rock" so it doesn't dry up and blow away.

With the help of thousands (well, more then that), of Chicago beer drinkers, they keep the Chicago Ship and Sanitary Canal flowing, along with the Des Plaines river, which form the mighty Illinois river, up near another forum members house, who I am sure is doing his part in keeping the waters flowing.

when the drought is over, then we can concentrate on growing some crops, feeding the rock, which just happens to be by a dam, and hopefully it won't be starved, anymore.

Then there is the problem of the next area of stone mass, Lover's Leap. but we'll save that for another thread.

So Ron, if it is hot, dry, and miserable up here, what's it like down your way?

regards.....casey

testsubject said:
I figure you were just kidding kc but a little knowledge goes a long way. Starved Rock is a beautiful park with a checkered history.

There is a little contraversy going on as to whether they actually starved there, or if Indians were even present when it was supposed to have happened. Wife and I spent a lot of time hiking there last summer. You can spend a lot of time and money there!

I grew up in Mendota, about 25 miles away. I rode past it often going to an aunt's house, but never knew that I was at the entrance to the park. In fifth grade, the teacher asked if everyone had been to Starved Rock. No one noticed that I didn't raise my hand. I had no idea where it was at.

I knew all about the infamous "Starved Rock murders" which had happened 3 years earlier. Now there is something interesting to research. I thought the guy was innocent for years, then I read some of the witnesses accounts. Then I thought he was guilty as sin.

The Lodge is kinda neat. Built by the CCC boys in the 30's. A great place to eat, specially for a hot date or sunday brunch. Sorta pricey, but VERY good.

The roads through the park were packed in 1969 when I first started driving through. Cars and people lined both sides. Now days, guard rails, drop off cliffs, a lot of deer, but the kids are gone. See some on the trails, some by the river, but not the hundreds and hundreds that over ran the place years ago. A lot of people come down to fish for Bugle Nose Bass (carp).

The 3 major parks are pretty cool, the I+M canal is okay, but I really like the Hennepin Canal (IL River to the mississippi) better. It was used up into the 1950's.

Enough history and tourism for now.

regards.....casey