1336 impact drive going to default parameters

careed_25

Has anyone seen anything like the following:

Early this morning power knocked underground, which in turned knocked power on all our impact drives underground. When power came back up and we tried to start the conveyor one of the drives was acting up not giving right output voltage and amps and what not. I am not sure what all happen since i wasn't here at that time, i am just getting second hand input from those who were here. Anyways after several times trying to restart the conveyor and it going out on slip, they decided to change the drive. Before they changed the drive they did a drive to him to get the parameter setting out of the original drive. Once they put the new drive in they did a him to drive to put the original parameters in the new drive. Here is where i went online with the drive using drive executive and found that the drive had default parameters instead of the right parameters. Is there any way the loss of power or a power surge would have caused the drive to revert back to default parameters. I have a feeling this is what happened and they change the drive out for now reason. luckily i had the file save on my laptop and dumped it in and got back to running correctly. let me know if my assumption is right.

Save to EEPROM...

One thing that is often forgotten with the 13xx series drives is the SAVE to EEPROM function. If you set up a drive and forget to SAVE to EEPROM, it will revert to the previous settigns when you cycle power. This can be handy when you are experimenting with a bunch of parameters and you need to revert, but most of the time it just causes confusion.

I suspect that is exactly what happened to yours...

Paul

Do you know if you normally save the parameters to the EPROM on the HIM. It may be possible that the original setup was only in RAM and never backed up to the EPROM.

Brian.

EDIT: You got me Paul, next time I'll type faster!

Normal action taken after a motor is changed and autotuned or a parmater is changed is that we go to the drive, hit esc, scroll to eeprom, hit enter, scroll to drive to him and hit enter twice. I believe this is what you are asking, so yes we normally write to the eeprom. When we have a scenerio such as last night we do the above before we take the old drive out and do the reverse when we put the new drive in using the him off the original drive. I know we don't get mixed up on him modules because it is stationary mounted away from the drive itself and we don't changed it out when we change the drive. these are 250 hp drives in custom built enclosures.

Normal action taken after a motor is changed and autotuned or a parmater is changed is that we go to the drive, hit esc, scroll to eeprom, hit enter, scroll to drive to him and hit enter twice. I believe this is what you are asking, so yes we normally write to the eeprom.....

Nope...Drive > HIM is not the same as save to EEPROM. Save to EEPROM is in the same menu though...

Last edited:
When we select EEPROM that puts in in EEPROM mode and this to me would mean you are writing to eeprom. the options it gives in EEPROM are as follows:
save values
recall values
reset values
drive to him
him to drive

Are you saying we need to go back in after we do a him to drive and go to eeprom and select save values? Either way if this is true we power down the drives every weekend and never have an issue with it referring back to default values. Power has been taken off and put back on this drive several times since the last time a drive to him or him to drive was done. Therefore something happened to put it back in default. Maybe a reset defaults was hit at some point and noone is fessing up. i was just asking if it was at all possible that a power surge could set to defaults. Looking at the manual i just answered my own question. Choosing save values under EEPROM is used to fix problems with checksum. REfer to page C-6 and C-7 in the user manual for 1336 Impact Adustable Frequency AC Drive (o.5-800HP) Version 1.xx - 4.xx. looks to me that we are writing to eeprom when we do a him to drive.

When we select EEPROM that puts in in EEPROM mode and this to me would mean you are writing to eeprom. the options it gives in EEPROM are as follows:
save values
recall values
reset values
drive to him
him to drive

Are you saying we need to go back in after we do a him to drive and go to eeprom and select save values?
YES.

Either way if this is true we power down the drives every weekend and never have an issue with it referring back to default values. Power has been taken off and put back on this drive several times since the last time a drive to him or him to drive was done. Therefore something happened to put it back in default. Maybe a reset defaults was hit at some point and noone is fessing up. i was just asking if it was at all possible that a power surge could set to defaults.

I suppose that it's possible the power surge caused it, but I personally have not seen that occur.

Looking at the manual i just answered my own question. Choosing save values under EEPROM is used to fix problems with checksum. REfer to page C-6 and C-7 in the user manual for 1336 Impact Adustable Frequency AC Drive (o.5-800HP) Version 1.xx - 4.xx. looks to me that we are writing to eeprom when we do a him to drive.

That is incorrect. Save Values and Drive -> HIM are two different and distinct functions.

If what you are saying is true, then why out of all 48 drives that we power down every sunday, does this not happen every time we power them back up. after we do a him to drive when we change out a drive, we never do a save. it also states in the manual that anytime you change a parameter it performs the save command. Are you not changing parameters when you do a him to drive? THerefore wouldn't it do a save automatically. Do you have a manual or some publication that shows what you are saying is true. it isn't that i don't believe you it is simply tha fact that this has never happened and we power down these drives all the time. here is what the manual says:
Using the Human Interface Module (HIM) C-7
Using the EEProm Mode

You can use
EEProm mode to save values, recall values, reset values
to the factory defaults, upload a parameter profile from the drive to
the HIM, or download a parameter profile. To perform any of these
functions, you need to first enter EEProm mode by selecting it from
the Choose Mode prompt.
Saving Values/Recalling Values
The 1336 IMPACT drive automatically saves the values of the
parameters when you make a change. Therefore, you should not need
to use these functions in most situations. However, you can use these
functions to try to fix problems with the checksum value.
If you have a problem with the checksum, you can:

Select Recall Values.

Select Save Values.

Check the values of the parameters.

Downloading a Parameter Profile
To download a parameter pro

file from the HIM to a drive, you must
have a Series B HIM.
Important:

The download function is only available when a valid
profile is stored in the HIM.

From the EEProm mode prompt, press INC or DEC until HIM –>
Drive is displayed.

Press ENTER. A profile name (up to 14 characters) is displayed
on line 2 of the HIM.

Press INC or DEC to scroll to a second profile (if available).

Press ENTER when the desired profile name is displayed. An
information display is shown that indicates the version numbers
of the profile and the drive.

Press ENTER to start the download. The parameter number
currently being downloaded is displayed on line 1 of the HIM.
Line 2 indicates the total progress. Press ESC to stop the
download.

Press ENTER when COMPLETE is displayed on line 2. If line 2
reports ERROR, refer to the following table

Nothing is mentioned about RAM. If you can show something that does I will happy to drop this issue. Also i will implement it into pratice that we perform a save each time we do a him to drive. Let me ask you this, since the above states that a save is performed anytime any changes are made, if we have datalinks that are constantly changing parameters in the drive while running, are we constantly performing a save? If this is true than something forced the drive back to defaults since as soon as the drive start we write a speed and torque reference. I have a feeling somewhere along the task of changing the drive out someone accidentally hit the reset to default option instead of drive to him and then did a drive to him after realizing they didn't do it the first time. My ultimate goal from this post was to rule out the power blink causing a reset to default. If you can show me something that talks about the RAM vs. EEprom than i have come out ahead and will put this into pratice. By the way thanks for your input since you seem to be the only one who will respond.

Last edited:
The 1336 IMPACT drive automatically saves the values of the parameters when you make a change. Therefore, you should not need to use these functions in most situations.

This is news to me. It must be something that Allen-Bradley changed with newer firmware than what we are running here in our 1336 PlusII and 1305 drives.

Paul​

careed, I'd respond but I know nothing about your problem!

Okie's had a lot of experience with AB drives and you've got the best we can offer with him responding.

It's an opportunity for me to learn something since I occasionally stumble across the 1305/1336 drives in my work.

I just had a 1336 Impact Drive revert back to it's default parameters for the first time in 12 years running. This is very odd to me. It's as if someone went to the HIM module, entered into eprom and selected recall values. Whenever we add or replace a drive we upload saved parameters with the HIM or Drive Tools then cycle power on the drive. We have had numerous power surges and lockouts but never have had a drive revert back to default parameters like this before. I uploaded the correct parameters and the drive is running properly now.