Haloween Automation

RheinhardtP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I read on a different forum from one of the members about Haloween Automation that he does to make the eperience more scary and better ,i wondered how many guys have similar stories as we have a big amount of members in here from the United States??

Seems very interesting to me as we dont have Haloween in my country,

Regards

RheinhardtP said:
I read on a different forum from one of the members about Haloween Automation that he does to make the eperience more scary and better
And I thought my everyday work in automation was scary enough. Who needs Halloween!

Rudi

He was explaining to me on Haloween, he would automate a couple of air valves linked to sensors in the garden and a compressor, as the kids walk up you have air blowin out the bushes, ect. Witches moving on cables attached to motors ect.

Just seemed like a fun exercise, cos that may be all you can call it...

Rudi
And I thought my everyday work in automation was scary enough. Who needs Halloween!

Very,very true, for some its apparently not only a job, but a lifestyle.....

Last edited:
For those not in a western country this may help explain Halloween http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween Wikipedia also offers other languages besides English.

It has become common in the US for people to use "props" around there house as part of a celebration motif. These may be carved pumpkins, mannikins dressed like ghouls, zombies or fictional characters like Frankenstein. The lower prices of many items hallowed many people to create a "spooky" atmosphere using fog and sound effects.

The low cost of controllers, computers etc has opened the world of automation to many home owners. Its easy to make bat(s) fly around the porch, trigger fog or sounds on approach, light and create movement of a head or ghoulish creature. Just think of a scary character from a horror movie then think about it jumping from the bushes or shadows as you approach a house.

The sad part is that the "real ghouls" started using Halloween as a time to actually do harm instead of have fun. The result of this is that Halloween for young people is not celebrated in the same way as it was when I was young. Children these days attend parties or go "trick or treating" during the day, this eliminates the scare factor and much of the thrill of Halloween.

Last year we had decorations and some effects with a total of 10 kids stopping at the house. I have not planned to do anything this year.

Last edited:
Ron,
Alas, what you say is quite true - no more fun.

Before my 'stuff' happened I had a big 2 storey with a 480 square foot porch. Oh, the gimmicks we'd pull.

Suspend a sheet across an area, dress up and stand behind the sheet with big ski boots sticking out under the sheet and rattle a tow chain while growling would work wonders.

I always wanted to put huge animated 'eyes' in the upper two windows and have them track the groups - the haunted house is 'watching' you.

We put on such a show our friends would come over and setup/act in the ambience. Folks would tell us we were more fun than the $15 spook houses.

All gone now.

Have a safe All Hallows Eve

Rod

Most here know I worked in the carnival industry for many years. In the mid 80's the company I worked for moved its home office to a Nolensville TN (very small little community outside Nashville).

Naturally we had an old haunted house and what was called a Dark Ride (one where you get in the car and go thru a dark place with things that scare you). Just to have some fun one year we setup the haunted house and dark ride (without cars) and added some things like the fog machines from one of our music rides. Several of the people dressed up in costumes. I added even more automated equipment using a coffin with a body that raised up, the bats flying as I mentioned, spiders (plastic on fishing line that could drop in your face and hair), ghosts and more.

We did not advertise this thing, we just invited the children (families) at the elementary school down the street. It was a one night event and I bet we had almost 10,000 people show up from word of mouth. It was free but did so well the owner thought about creating something permanent to use each year. I think my workers had more fun than the people and kids that came to see it.

Most years we were still on the road working on Halloween so this was a change of pace. On the road we would have a costume contest, I won it 2 years in a row as a "devil", did not take much of a costume.

rsdoran said:
The sad part is that the "real ghouls" started using Halloween as a time to actually do harm instead of have fun. The result of this is that Halloween for young people is not celebrated in the same way as it was when I was young. Children these days attend parties or go "trick or treating" during the day, this eliminates the scare factor and much of the thrill of Halloween.

Last year we had decorations and some effects with a total of 10 kids stopping at the house. I have not planned to do anything this year.

Last year the last trick-or-treater came by the house before 7:30. Most of them came before 6:30. We make sure we put the cars in the garage and the dog and cat are in.

My kids love to carve the pumpkins, but beginning last year after three years in a row of getting them smashed and having sad kids, I ran a trip wire through all the pumpkins to sound an alarm in the house if anyone messed with them. Ironically, no one messed with them.

I've done some Holloween Stuff:

Year 1. Kid steps on porch and trips retro eye, 1/2 size skeleton hanging from a cable races across porch, (from out of the dark) and stops about 2 feet from the door and jiggles and screams. Kids go running and crying, parents lodge complaints. Very little candy passed out. Wife is really pi$$ed; so are neighbors. Six year old daughter wont sleep alone or with the lights out because "skeleton is going to get her".

Year 2. (a little tamer), I make up 12 sets of red, green and yellow leds. Two to a board spaced about 2" apart. Placed the led boards on a 6 circuit string each spaced about 2' from the next. Wire the six circuits to a DL05 and program the DL05 so that the LEDs blink in a random fashon when a retro-eye input is tripped. Stuffed the string of LEDs in the bushes along with a counter weighted shaker motor.

Ok so kid steps on the porch and trips eye. (porch is dark except for pumkin and flickering flame type lamp in porch light) Bushes rustle & shake, kids look at bushes and 12 sets of "eyes" are looking at them blinking once and a while. Some kids run, some hold their gound. One parent screams "Skunk!" (prevelent on our neighborhood). Some see humor in gag. So near the end of the night my dog jumps in the bushes and chips her teeth on the spinning counterweight. Dog whines all night. $200.00 in vet bills.

My anamation days are done.

17.gif

Too funny, Mike... :ROFLMAO:

🍻

-Eric

good one mike..

Its still strong in areas north of you..I took my kids last year, We live on a main road with not so many houses so we go to a buddys up the street. a small sub division.Keep in mind last year was first time with them.. I brought a little plastic pumpkin to put the cadies in..My buddy got be a glad garbage bag and informed me i would have to empty the pumpkin in about 3 houses..The kids had a blast!! Lots of people still go to town on decs and props..Scared the bejesus out of my little girl at one point..took about 5 mins to calm her down and off she raced to next house..Kids were everywhere..However none we unsupervised, and all candy was sorted at the end of the night..If its not in a wrapper it gets tossed..Kids had fun..All the dads were walking around with the "Coffee" cups (If you catch the drift...) and he was right..The Glad bag was full at the end of the night..And we only did one side of the street!!

lots of fun..

D