Micrologix Comm Cable pin out

robert burns

R
I have a Allen Bradely 1784-cp7 cable with pin out (9pin female-8pin Mini DIN) (7-3) (5-1) (1-6) respectively. It plugs in but Im afraid to try it. Also if any one has more info on my post yesterday reguarding the bosch controller problem. I would love to get some more info. Thanks [email protected]

The 1784-CP7 adapter is for DH+ and the mini DIN on the front of the enhanced PLC 5 processors. It is used with the 1784-CP, 1784-CP6, 1784-PCM5, ...cables. What you require for the MicroLogix is the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable.

Don't do it, Robby ! It's nae worth it !

DO NOT use that 1784-CP7 for anything but adapting old 9-pin DH+ cables to newer DH+ 8-pin ports.

The pinout that olias pointed out shows that Pin 1 of the 8-pin Mini-DIN connector is connected to Pin 5 of the DB9 side.

On the MicroLogix, Pin 1 is +24 VDC.
On your PC, Pin 5 is Signal Ground.

If you do plug it in, let me know what color the smoke is !

Me and my computer thank you all for setting us straight before we set our selves on fire! Dose any one have the correct pinout so that I dont have to sit on my hands waiting for UPS for a week. Thanks [email protected]

Dang, there goes my $0.0035 commission.

The pinout for the 1761-CBL-PM02 can be found in Rockwell Knowledgebase document # G19095. Search by doc# on the support.rockwellautomation.com site.

All you really need is pins 2, 3, and 5 (Rx, Tx, GND) for ordinary DF1 full-duplex with no handshaking.

The problem is finding that Mini-DIN connector with the locking nub in the right place... I see them in the Digi-Key catalog, but that usually takes me a week too.

I found a "Apple Computer" cable at my local PC shop that had the correct 8Pin Mini-DIN connector that fits the Micrologix PLC's.
(at least the 1000's)
Dont't know what the Apple cable was used for.
Added the DB9 connector and ended up with a dirt cheap cable.

I've tried a few different brands of 8-pin mini-dins (prewired on a cable... I refuse to try and solder one of 'em on a cable!). They do fit the ML's (all), but they don't fit "well" in my opinion. IOW, they're not something you want to plug/unplug a lot. The AB connectors have a flat on one side that matches the port (which, as Ken mentioned, is for the locking type cables).

The best fitting ones I've found (besides AB of course) are from Automation Direct. They sell them to interface their HMIs to MLs so you have to chop off the other end. These DO fit well. Not all 8 pins are wired, but the 3 you need are there. Best of all, it's a 90° connector and only costs US$15... :p

beerchug

-Eric

Aha... Scooter discovers my secret "Appletalk" cable source for 8-pin mini-DIN connectors. There's lots of them for $5.00 each in the miscellaneous cables bin at my favorite PC recycler.

What I've found is that the Appletalk connector is a "standard" Mini-DIN, in which the flat side of the molded plug is the side with the three pins abreast, and the "keying pin" is on that side too. The other side has the "flat shoulder" and two pins abreast.

This fits correctly into the 8-pin DH+ ports on SLC and PLC-5 controllers, as well as into the SCANport plugs on A-B drives. This is the application you are least likely to need a custom cable !

But on the MicroLogix, the inside part is 180 degrees backwards. I think A-B didn't want people plugging in 17 volt DH+ cables into an RS-232 port that also has a live +24V pin. Thus the expensive and hard-to-find MicroLogix cable.

I didn't know AutomationDirect had those little cables... I wonder if Maple Systems has them too, since they plug into MicroLogix.