Off topic (somewhat) - Indian cable

PhilRey

Well...maybe it's not too far off topic. PLC's do need a way to move the smoke from point A to point B! :D I thought I could tap the vast collective knowledge on this forum.

I am working on a control project for a client in India and having a heckuva time finding armoured cable which meets the client's specs here in the U.S.

The cable will need to service an Exd enclosure with double compression cable glands (also certified Exd)...no problem so far.

Here's some basic specs for the cable:
Insulation:
* Primary - 85°C PVC per IS-5831 Type C
* Inner and outer jacket - 90°C PVC per IS-5831 Type ST-2
* Oxygen index >30%
* Temperature index > 250°C
* 600V/1100V
Cable to be twisted and armoured
Armour over inner jacket shall be galvanized steel wire/flat per IS-1554 part I
Single pair/triad: 1.5mm2 7-strand copper conductor
Multi pair/triad: 0.5mm2 16-strand copper conductor or 1.5mm2 7-strand copper conductor
Shield:
* Aluminum backed mylar/polyester tape bonded with metallic side down, helically applied with 25% overlap
* Thickness:
- single pair/triad: <=0.05mm
- multi pair/triad: <=0.075mm
* Drain wire for individual and overall shield: 0.5mm2 bare tinned copper
All multi pair cables shall have 6 pair/12 pairs only

Is anyone familiar with this type of cable? This is the first time I have been required to use something like this.

I have access to some similar cable conforming to British standards, but I have not yet found access to an Indian standard cable here in the States.

I know there are several Indian members on this forum and others have international experience. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
-Phil

Well we wired some skids for Egypt and it required "halogen free" IEC rated cable. I believe the cable you are looking for will be type "RFOU". Call EuroAmerican Marine Products at 713-868-0983. You can talk to John butts or Dan Passmore. They have supplied us with all our cables and glands for our middle east projects. You can check them out at www.euroamericanmarine.com.

Watch out for the shipping charges if you try to rush some Euro cable into the states!

I don't have an address' but the Indian Standards Instute is (was) located in Patiala when I worked over there some years ago.....
You might also check w/ Simplex Cable in CN,good folks ,too.
David

Sounds like the spec for the cable was copied from a product sheet of a cable that is available. Contact whoever wrote the document and ask them what specific brand of cable they refer to. If it is anything like here we cant say you shall use XYZ brand but you can specify the requirements so that only XYZ will comply. Regards Alan