Alternative to using PIC to communicate with rs232 panelview

euipfacil

OK I have been bitten by the service pac 3 bug that makes it impossible for me to use the AB PIC driver to communicate with my RS 232 port on my panel view. Question is; what driver can I use to communicate through? I have a USB to serial adaptor. Anyone else have this same issue?

First, what is the complete catalog number of your PanelView.

The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. Which can be used for PanelViews that support DH485 protocol.

Remove SP3. There is absolutely no need for it.

The 1747-PIC module converts to DH485. The other option is using the PCMK card and proper cable, however there are issues with that driver and SP3 as well, as I've experienced.

I believe there maybe a new usb adapter, but it's pricey and won't be "officially" SP3 compatible either.

It's easier to install XP SP2. I re-installed XP SP2 on my new laptop as it came with SP3 installed, life has been easier since.

Remove SP3. There is absolutely no need for it.

Unfortunately if your computer comes with SP3 as a native install it can't simply be "removed". You need to have an XP SP2 disk lying around and the time to re-install.

It is a panelview 1000 2711-T10C9. I only has an RS232 port no DH485. The reason for the service pac 3 is my company has it on the server and anytime I get on the network it auto updates me back to sp 3 even if I remove it. the last time while my I.T. guy was removing sp 3 he crashed my hard drive which caused me to loose all of my software. So just need and alternate route to communicate.
Thanks,
LR

Unfortunately if your computer comes with SP3 as a native install it can't simply be "removed". You need to have an XP SP2 disk lying around and the time to re-install.

I guess I was reading in between the lines that the OP had a computer that was working just fine and had SP3 installed.

Why not just use a pcmcia compact flash adaptor and just transfer direct to the CF card?

Works best with cards <= 256mb and not of the 40x speed types.

I have a PMCK card. what do I need to communicate through that. Sorry for dumb questions.

I was thinking you where using the pic adapter as well, which meant it was a DH485 panel. The PCMK card only works with DH485 or DH+ panels so it won't help you.

You should be able to use a DF1 driver and go serial if you have a serial cable with a null modem.

Your PV has a RS232 port with DH485 protocol. If you cannot use the PIC.
You will need a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) . Or a memory card ( probably your best solution).I don't think there is cable for a RS232 port to use with your PCMK card.

Or depending on the controller you have you can use a passthru connection.

Or get a laptop with a real serial port ( without SP3 of course) and use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx with a straight thru cable.

DH485Protocol.jpg