Help loading a .apa in FTView SE Studio

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. It has been a while since I have worked with FTView Studio and having trouble remembering how to open an .apa in studio. I can't remember if software versions are an issue like AB PLC's or not. The original project was created with v.11 and I just purchased v.12. As I recall, that wouldn't be an issue? I am perusing the manual now however, any help flattening this re-learning curve would be awesome. Thank you

I'm pretty sure the version difference isn't an issue as long as you plan on running it on a FTView version 12 after editing it. As far as opening the .apa file, I believe you'll have to use FactoryTalk View (SE/ME) Application Manager, and use the "Restore application" option to add it to the list of applications that shows up when you start up FTView Studio.

You've probably already figured this out, but for future reference for anyone else reading this...

Usually, you can double-click on the APA file and it will launch the restore function from Application Manager to begin importing the application. When you open the imported application, if it is older, it will tell you what version it was created with and instruct you that it must be converted to your current FT View version. This does not affect the APA.

If it is an SE application, then your version needs to match the customer version. You can't edit in v12 and then have it be compatible with their v11. If you are using ME, then when you create a runtime you can select an older revision if necessary. ME isn't the stickler here that SE is.

OG

You've probably already figured this out, but for future reference for anyone else reading this...

Usually, you can double-click on the APA file and it will launch the restore function from Application Manager

OG

Thanks OG, mine was doing that however, it kept wanting to open with ME and I thought it had to be SE. I thought I had a clear understanding of difference between SE and ME but now I am clearly lost on it. Lol

In a very basic way...

SE = SCADA. PC, Server, Thin Client

ME= HMI. Panelview, or run on a PC as ME station.

I'm pretty sure the version difference isn't an issue as long as you plan on running it on a FTView version 12 after editing it. As far as opening the .apa file, I believe you'll have to use FactoryTalk View (SE/ME) Application Manager, and use the "Restore application" option to add it to the list of applications that shows up when you start up FTView Studio.

Does this mean that when I create my runtime file, after changes have been made, I will not be able to load the .mer to the HMI, because of the version difference? Thanks

Does this mean that when I create my runtime file, after changes have been made, I will not be able to load the .mer to the HMI, because of the version difference? Thanks

You should be able to pick the version of the hardware when you create the mer file (as long as it is not newer than your software version). When you create the Runtime Application, under file name there is a "Save as type:" drop down that will allow you to choose the older version.

Last edited:
For example,

My Station: FT View version 12
Customer: FTView version 10 and PanelView firmware version 7

I develop the application in v12 and when I am ready to run it on the PV I create a runtime for their version 7 PV. But I can't send the customer the APA (v12) since they won't be able to open it. However, I can send them the MER (v7). They can restore that MER, creating an application on their PC using their FT version 10.

The caveat with this is that when I develop the application, I cannot use any features that were added after version 7, otherwise it wouldn't work on that particular PV.

While I always prefer to send someone an APA file, the catch is that they have to be using the same version (or newer) of FT View. Instead, the MER is probably the best way to send the application as it isn't as dependent on versions.

OG

Last edited:
Instead, the MER is probably the best way to send the application as it isn't as dependent on versions.

Unless you happen to be dealing with v5 or lower, in which case you cannot restore the .mer and .apa is pretty much what you're stuck with.

Happened to be dealing with one such today. In all other situations, I concur with OG.

Unless you happen to be dealing with v5 or lower, in which case you cannot restore the .mer and .apa is pretty much what you're stuck with.

Happened to be dealing with one such today. In all other situations, I concur with OG.

I think there is a workaround for you:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=34802

It doesn't cover everything, but might save you a lot of work.