writing an hmi from scratch using VB

Here are some more details.
I've used RsView, Cimplicity, Wonderware, Indusoft et al.
They are all buggy as get out.
I program for an OEM.
Basically, I'm like why can't I write my own thing and get the run time fee?
That is what prompted this thought.
My customer is currently spending over $700 per unit for a runtime lic.
50 units a year and growing. so currently $35k a year for dongles.
I could live off of working my dream job as a WalMart greeter and still pay my rent and car payment w/ that extra income.

Last edited:
The run time license is the killer
at one time i used RSLinx Pro on a few jobs it worked well but a runtime license on each HMI was about $1400 i know the other are up there as well and that's not including the developer license you need to write the code. that's the biggest advantage.
You get better with it the more you use it a lot of the control panels you save and reuse on other projects as needed so the development time get's better the more you work with it
You can get driver for other processors and have them run on the same HMI
I normally don't charge for the runtime just the completed project with all the project different you really can't use them anyplace else anyway.

With Advanced HMI the driver is part of the hardware or each HMI you want to run you need to purchases a new system and again pay for the a new driver.
If this is referring to the AdvancedHMI software, let me clarify this extremely incorrect statement.

The AdvancedHMI software is completely free for development and run-time distribution. This includes all fully functional drivers and absolutely no tag limits. It does not require the purchase of any hardware or additional software and can be run on any Windows PC you choose. The only stipulation to comply with the free license package is the source of software must be distributed to the end user. You cannot use the AdvancedHMI package to create proprietary closed source applications. The fully functioning AdvancedHMI software base package can be downloaded at no cost from the web site by adding to the shopping cart and going through the check out process for a zero cost purchase.

There are optional components that can be purchased to extend the toolbox of AdvancedHMI. These are referred to as Expansion Packs. The Expansion Packs are purchased as a development license with no run-time distribution fees. Once again, Expansion Packs are optional and not required to used AdvancedHMI to create fully functioning applications.

If you wish to develop a closed source application in which you do not want to give the end user the source, there currently is one of the AdvancedHMI drivers available for purchase as a stand-alone driver (as a single DLL). It is the ControlLogix/CompactLogix driver. This driver is purchased as a one time development license and no run-time fees. This driver is completely independent of the AdvancedHMI package and does not give a license to use the AdvancedHMI components in closed source applications. Nor is this driver required if you wish the use the AdvancedHMI package. This driver is the close equivalent to software such as Ingear, ASComm, Kepware, etc. The biggest difference is the cost is about 20% of most available drivers with the same capabilities. Benchmarks have been done on most of the drivers on the market and the stand-alone CLX driver from the AdvancedHMI web site has proven to be the fastest driver.

There are Windows panel PCs available for purchase from the web site, but these are not required to use the AdvancedHMI software. They are only optimized and tested with the AdvancedHMI software, but will run any Windows software without restriction. These panel PCs do ship with a pre-configured package of the AdvancedHMI software and all expansion packs. This configuration is intended to make applications operate similar to HMI hardware such as a PanelView, RedLion, or Cmore.

Sorry to make such as long winded clarification, but I see a lot of mis-information pertaining to the AdvancedHMI software costs and licensing that needed clarlfied.

AdvancedHMI C#

OT

I have read that VB (Visual Basic) is approaching end of life. Do the various VB-using technologies (FT, AdvancedHMI, etc.) have a migration plan e.g. Visual C/C++ or Visual C#?

If I remember correctly, I've done some work with AdvancedHMI using C#.

If this is referring to the AdvancedHMI software, let me clarify this extremely incorrect statement.

The AdvancedHMI software is completely free for development and run-time distribution. This includes all fully functional drivers and absolutely no tag limits. It does not require the purchase of any hardware or additional software and can be run on any Windows PC you choose. The only stipulation to comply with the free license package is the source of software must be distributed to the end user. You cannot use the AdvancedHMI package to create proprietary closed source applications. The fully functioning AdvancedHMI software base package can be downloaded at no cost from the web site by adding to the shopping cart and going through the check out process for a zero cost purchase.

There are optional components that can be purchased to extend the toolbox of AdvancedHMI. These are referred to as Expansion Packs. The Expansion Packs are purchased as a development license with no run-time distribution fees. Once again, Expansion Packs are optional and not required to used AdvancedHMI to create fully functioning applications.

If you wish to develop a closed source application in which you do not want to give the end user the source, there currently is one of the AdvancedHMI drivers available for purchase as a stand-alone driver (as a single DLL). It is the ControlLogix/CompactLogix driver. This driver is purchased as a one time development license and no run-time fees. This driver is completely independent of the AdvancedHMI package and does not give a license to use the AdvancedHMI components in closed source applications. Nor is this driver required if you wish the use the AdvancedHMI package. This driver is the close equivalent to software such as Ingear, ASComm, Kepware, etc. The biggest difference is the cost is about 20% of most available drivers with the same capabilities. Benchmarks have been done on most of the drivers on the market and the stand-alone CLX driver from the AdvancedHMI web site has proven to be the fastest driver.

There are Windows panel PCs available for purchase from the web site, but these are not required to use the AdvancedHMI software. They are only optimized and tested with the AdvancedHMI software, but will run any Windows software without restriction. These panel PCs do ship with a pre-configured package of the AdvancedHMI software and all expansion packs. This configuration is intended to make applications operate similar to HMI hardware such as a PanelView, RedLion, or Cmore.

Sorry to make such as long winded clarification, but I see a lot of mis-information pertaining to the AdvancedHMI software costs and licensing that needed clarlfied.

thank you

đź“š

If you want to develop closed source in .NET, you have a lot of options. As Archie stated, you can purchase the DLL for Compact/Control Logix (this will handle your comms only). If you don't mind staying with a single manufacturer, MOXA has some easy to use libraries for their IOLogix line that are free and don't require you to open source your whole project. I haven't looked around much, but I imagine other mfgs make libraries for development available too. If you're up to it, you can write your own driver. I recently wrote drivers for Enttec Ethernet to DMX converters and also Lyntec SCRP lighting panels. These were relatively simple protocols that were well documented. Some of the industrial protocols would be much more difficult.